Thread: The last play of the Vikings vs Saints game

Default The last play of the Vikings vs Saints game

Trying to kick-start a little FOBL board conversation, as it's been barren lately.

What the HELL was the Saints CB/S doing on that play? All you had to do was tackle him and you advance to the Championship game.

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

It was pretty bizarre that's for sure. It was like they weren't expecting to see the receiver behind them, and didn't know how to react. From what I've listened to, it seems like they were worried about getting called for pass interference or some other penalty.
    Current Owner: Poughkeepsie Paladins/FOBL
    Past Owner: Myrtle Beach Magicians/FOFL

If anyone would be laying the smiting hand of God over anyone, it's us.

Poughkeepsie Round Table of Honor: Manuel Pearson, Cesar Gomez, Edward Ballard. Laurence Gonsalves

FOFL Champions Myrtle Beach Magicians-2025. Yes the Apocalypse is coming.

Yeah, looked like Williams over-corrected, trying to avoid the PI call - he definitely had mistimed his arrival at the ball. Then it was really unlucky that he wiped out the other defender nearby, but that's the sort of thing that can happen when your body is out of control. I have no idea why he was trying to time the hit. All he had to do was hold up, wait for the catch, drag Diggs down inbounds, and the game is over. Actually, though, it's not so simple. Football instincts are deeply ingrained -- if he's been taught all his life to try to time contact with the receiver at the arrival of the ball to break up passes, it's ludicrous to think that developed instinct will just shut off in the heat of battle. The whole idea of drilling guys to the point where that sort of thing becomes automatic is the whole point of practice. Looked like Diggs made a helluva effort to maintain/regain his balance, as he easily could have fallen and been down by contact or stumbled out of bounds. Insane play, that's for sure.
    "You know, some people say life is short and that you could get hit by a bus at any moment and that you have to live each day like it's your last. Bullshit. Life is long. You're probably not gonna get hit by a bus. And you're gonna have to live with the choices you make for the next fifty years."
    -Chris Rock

Just watched it again. Now I'm thinking Williams must have closed his eyes (I don't see him tuck his head down until after he whiffed) in expectation of a collision, and just lost track of Diggs. Maybe that also combined with an attempt to avoid the DPI call. The more I watch it, the worse it looks for Williams.
    "You know, some people say life is short and that you could get hit by a bus at any moment and that you have to live each day like it's your last. Bullshit. Life is long. You're probably not gonna get hit by a bus. And you're gonna have to live with the choices you make for the next fifty years."
    -Chris Rock

Had to run out of the house in the 4th quarter and didn't see it live. Watching a replay, after already knowing something crazy had happened wasn't the same...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trenton Roadkill - 2040 FOBL Champions