Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FOBL v2 - initial plan, rules, and file flip thread (details subject to change)

I think the injury setting we had last season was just about right. I also had quite a few injuries, more than in past seasons, and had to make adjustments.
    FOBL Santa Cruz Sea Lions
    2008 Solecismic Series Champions
    2008, 2030 Gindin League Champions
    2008, 2012, 2016 Dola Division Champions
    2041 DEFCON Division Champions
    2009, 2019, 2029, 2030 Gindin League Wild Card

FOFL Davis Toads
    2033, 2034 NC Conference Champions
    2012, 2019, 2023, 2031, 2033, 2034 NC West Champions
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2035, 2038 NC Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    New Financial Rules (e.g., transactions, contracts, trading, etc.)

1. Players will be under team control for five (5) seasons. The first three (3) seasons will be at $100K. Players will enter arbitration in their 4th and 5th seasons of team control. All current players will be thrown into this. No grandfathering.

2. Three (3) year max on all contract offers.

3. Contract options are not allowed. If a player asks for them in a contract, you can accept their offer, but any options in a contract will be edited to non-option years after the fact. Once we move to v19, this will be revisited, but v17 is not reliable w/r/t options and they can be gamed with huge backloading.

4. Opt-outs are allowed.

5. Contract years may have different salary amounts, but this may be revisited later.

6. No discounts.

7. No September call-up rule.

8. We will allow trading of two (2) seasons worth of draft picks. The next year of picks is "unlocked" after the draft is complete.

9. Extensions are allowed.

10. You carry your cash over from v1.

11. No International FA for now. We have too much talent as-is.

12. There WILL BE MINOR LEAGUE FREE AGENCY. This will be set at five (5) years. This should help with some of the "I'm keeping 300 players in my minor leagues" issue without needing to go to a Rule 5 draft/40-man secondary roster nonsense.

13. The following factors will be equalized (values TBD) in the 2064 preseason ONLY: Stadium size, Owner Patience, Owner Spending, Owner Involvement, Owner Priority, Fan Interest, Fan Interest Modifier, and Fan Loyalty. Owners will be changed to be as equal as possible, and 30 years old.

14. Team Market Size will be reset every season.

15. Ticket prices are at your discretion.

16. Starting with the 2065 draft, the draft order will now be worst-to-best by record with the same tiebreak procedure. No change in order for playoff teams. I'm sick of doing the custom draft order.

17. Miscellaneous shit: No Post-Season Rosters; No 40-man secondary roster; 172 days of service = 1 service year; No waivers; No DFA; No Minor League Option Years; No Right to Refuse Minor League Assignment; No Rule 5 Draft; Trading deadline will be the first Monday in September; No 10/5 rule; All drafted players will automatically sign minor league contracts with the team that drafted them, and there are no signing bonuses; No Draft Pick Compensation for Lost Free Agents; No revenue sharing; Team's entire revenue is available to the GM.
    I'm finally getting time to catch up on some past FOBL posts & realize I've likely ignored these new finance rules. Feel free to snitch and adjust my team as necessary. I have not changed or added option years to player contract demands, I just have not touched what the player requested in those areas. Same thing with bonuses, which I do not see listed in these rules. I assume bonuses are not allowed either as that could be a finance loophole? Kind of a PITA as negotiations with 1 player can last through more than a dozen back & forths, and it looks like we will have to edit any option years, bonuses, and contracts over three years each time we resubmit a counter offer to what the player requested. Oh well, the its the game we have, not the one we want.

Also...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    New Financial Rules (e.g., transactions, contracts, trading, etc.)
    ... If a player asks for them in a contract, you can accept their offer, but any options in a contract will be edited to non-option years after the fact. Once we move to v19, this will be revisited, but v17 is not reliable w/r/t options and they can be gamed with huge backloading.
    This takes out the backloading loophole but adds a new loophole: Low salary player option years is a perk for the AI player & having these edited to non-option years allows us to frontload contracts, then keep a player for 2 relatively cheap follow up seasons the AI player would never agree to without that player option. Sorry to be a killjoy if no one has mentioned this before.

FWIW in my old other OOTP league (CDL - many of you here were in that league as well) we gave up on policing contracts and finally just said anything goes - have at it. It was unrealistic but at least it was a level playing field with all owners. The alternative was not always fair as some owners were meticulous about following the rules while others were casual at best. If owners did not notice & report contract infractions then teams got away with loophole deals, or if the bad contract was reported 2 seasons later then they got away with it for 2 seasons (for EG). There is also a long standing OOTP player history bug that sometimes does not save the last contract info for a player (at least 10% of the time I'd guess), which made some of our old contract rules like max contract years actually impossible to police.

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

Thanks Buddy!

I think what we'll do then, starting next season, is edit any contract with options to be of equal value each year, the value being equal to the highest yearly amount.

That should eliminate that loophole.

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

Unstuck now that I have written down the new rules