Thread: 2049 Free Agents

FOBL Board of Governors wolvie109's Avatar

Default 2049 Free Agents

My favorite time of the season. Here are your best available Free Agents this year. Quick non-polished, Anti-grammar version. EDITED for all FAs per the QO list.

Catchers:

1. Miguel Angel Sanchez, R. Good bat. better split against lefties than righties but still good against righties. Above average glove but not a gold glover. Down year last year but a career .391 OBP and .508 slugging.

2. Felipe Medina, Bats R. Good all around bat. Splits against RHP are decent. Not a great glove but will get you 25 home runs and at least 60 walks. Career OBP of .339 seems a little low to me. I would think it would be higher, at least in the .350 range. Might be a liability behind the dish.

3. Jayson Veeck, Bats L. Left Handed Bat at Catcher equals a plus. He's decent behind the plate but not spectacular. Averages over 20 HRs a season. OBP is higher than Medina's if you can believe it (.348 career), probably because he's a lefty. Will get you some walks too.

4. Zach Kinney, Bats R. Right handed bat. Decent defensively. Above Average offensively. May not be the best catcher but will be below everyone's radar. .344 career OBP is decent. Doesn't strike out much.

5. Diego Ortiz, Bats R. Another right handed bat. Probably the best defensive catcher in FA. Decent but not great bat. Was a platoon catcher last year at HOL but can fill the role of an everyday guy.

First Base:

1. Doug 'Boomer' Davis, Bats L. ZOMFGRUSERIOUS Brad 'Phucking' Phillips is not on the top of this list? Yep THAT's RIGHT. Boomer is a DH but he's younger, has a better OBP, strikes out less, and he isn't coppaging. For me you put Boomer and Phillips in the same spot in the lineup, you won't get as many home runs and maybe not even as many RBI with Boomer, but he'll keeps innings going. He won't be the strike out king like Phillips. He will also cost less than Phillips so his value is even greater. The 'Theques will pay buttloads to keep him but he is the best option at first this year.

2. Brad Phillips, Bats L. So here's why Phillips is better than Boomer: Home Runs (46 to 13 last season), RBIs (136 to 78), and OPS (.855 to .844). He'll get more looks than Boomer and will probably get more money than Boomer as well. The problem is how long will this last. He's definitely not the player he used to be.

3. Gael Marfell, Bats L. 35 years old? probably still worth a 3 year contract. .289/.353/.530 career stats is impressive. He's still good for 25 or so homeruns and 90 RBIs. That's damn good for his price tag which may be even half as much as Phillips.

4. Carlos Garcia, Bats R. Another 35 year old bat? He is the James Loney of FOBL first baseman. He won't hit a lot of Home Runs (10 is a career high) but he'll get on base a lot. Quintessential #2 batter. He gets a lot of walks. Not enough power from a guy that you want at first, also he's a righty. Best defensive 1b on the list. Probably a converted 2B or 3B.

5. R.J. Conkey, Bats L. The difference between Conkey and Phillips? The name. Conkey really should be a LF or RF but he is able to play 1B. Historically he hasn't been as good a hitter as Phillips, but with the coppaging of the king, Conkey is a cheap alternative.

Second Base:

1. Victor Sanchez, Bats S. Slim pickings at 2B, but there is nothing slim about Victor Sanchez. Seems to play below his potential but he is still difficult to pass up. He's almost a liability at second but he doesn't seem to want to play anywhere else.

2. Nicky Garside, Bats S. Switch hitter. Not a great but is a decent bat. Above average glove. He can steal some bases but will get caught about half the time. Not much power to speak of.

3. Angelo Barron, Bats R. Decent at 2nd or 3rd. Probably be available for a 100k contract.

Third Base:

1. Manolo Rodriguez, Bats S. 6 position player. Career .369 OBP. 130 runs and 90 BB last year. Good luck getting him away from Morganstein. He's determined to keep Manolo a Falcon 4 lyfe! WHAT! REPRESENT!

2. Glen 'Gigolo' Larson, Bats S. Should be a 1B and not a 3B. He can play there but really hurts more than helps. Career OBP .360 guy but hasn't topped that in 3 years. Going down hill? Power bat 35+ home runs a year is the norm.

3. Raul Rodriguez, Bats L. LHB 3rd baseman are gold. He's a 25+ home run hitter that walks a fair a mount. Never struck out more than 100 times. Probably a cheap alternative to Manolo and Gigolo. Can actually play 3rd base decently.

Shortstop:

1. Bud Ward, Bats L. Ward should really be a third baseman. He doesn't have the range and consistency to be a shortstop. He is far and away the best hitter listed as a shortstop. He'll get 18-20 Home Runs a year and won't strike out a lot.

2. Johnathan Glasreth, Bats L. Probably the best fielding SS in the game. Good utility man that can play 4 positions easily. He's not the greatest hitter but he'll be better than anyone on defense.

3. Gene Quarles, Bats R. He's a decent bat. Nothing spectacular. He's only an average defender so if it's a glove you're looking for up the middle, look somewhere else.

Left Field:

1. Jerry Simms, Bats L. The reason why he's #1 in FA at Left is he's only 26. Teams won't be begging him to retire at the end of his contract. He's good all around. Not a major power hitter but he hits enough. Can steal a few bases too, if that's your thing.

2. Rodrigo Rivera, Bats L. No major signs of old age from RodRiv. Lost a little bit of power but still seems content and plugging away. Good luck trying to steal this guy from COL. He will be a CROW4LYF!

3. Ruben Vazquez, Bats R. Who doesn't want a right handed hitting power hitter that can barely play left field and will probably strike out at least 150 times? Anyone? That said who doesn't want a power hitter that can hit 40 home runs a year? Anyone?

Center Field:

1. Len Hayes, Bats R. Who else? The MVP of MVPs? Maybe not but he definitely tops the list of this and a lot of other Free Agent classes at this position. What more is there to say about him? 6-time all-star, 4-time gold glove winner, 3-time silver slugger and the 2040 FOBL VL MVP. Need I say more?

2. Shawn Jackson, Bats L. Would be a good to great platoon player in any outfield position. He's got elite speed and will get more stolen bases than strike outs. Decent OBP but not elite. Will still improve most lineups.

3. Raul Huerta, Bats L. Another platoon guy, probably not as good as Shawn Jackson but still pretty decent. He really is one of those above average all around but not great at any one thing. Good defense though.

Right Field:

1. Trey Richmond, Bats L. Elite hitter is elite hitter. He's only average defensively.....but WHO CARES! Dude has speed and power. He will walk a lot. Had a down year last year but really how can anyone call a .296/.388/.586, 46 HR, 114 RBI, 134 Run and 43 Stolen Base year as a down year. REALLY?!

2. Kel Bunch, Bats L. Some might say really? For someone with that potential, he really should be better. All I can say is SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! Dude is an upgrade for 99% of the lineups. Yes really!

3. PJ Whittier, Bats L. PJ Whittier is that anchor bat that you're missing. He's not a good defender and in fact will be a liability in the outfield. Maybe a DH? I'd personally want more power but he'd be okay there.

Starting Pitcher:

1. Juan Carlos Rivera, Throws R. Still the elite of all the arms out there. He'll pitch deep into games and he won't give up a lot of runs. Just won his 5th Platinum Pitcher award.

2. Lonnie Aldis, Throws R. The big knock on Aldis is his stamina. Can he pitch deep into games when needed? 4 career complete games says no. Still he will be har to pass up. There aren't many, if any, elite pitchers better.

3. Theron Wilkinson, Throws L. 'Monument' Wilkinson is as good as close to the top pitcher out there without actually being at the top. Confused? Well, over his career he's been as good as 'Happy' Rivera. 22-1 record last year is crazy good.

4. Dusty Whitfield, Throws R. Hasn't had a dominating season in a while, but with the right line up he might surprise people. 1.13 career WHIP is pretty good considering he is only 16 games over .500 in his career.

5. Raul Jimenez, Throws L. 'Stinger' Jimenez is the embodiment of a great two pitch starter. Two great pitches, of course, great at producing ground ball outs and high stamina.

Relief Pitcher:

1. Pat Sinclair, Throws L. Sinclair is eerily similar to 'Stinger' Jimenez. Two pitch guy with a good GB% and high stamina. Seems more consistent than Stinger and younger.

2. RJ Lawson, Throws R. Yet another 2 pitch reliever that could be a starter. Good stamina and has great stuff and movement. Not as good as Stinger or Sinclair but still good.

3. Luis Miguel Rojas, Throws R. Good two pitch guy that can get a lot of saves. Has a career WHIP of 1.18 but that is mostly from his early years in the bigs. Hasn't been over 1.06 in 4 years.

4. JJ Walker, Throws R. JJ Walker is DYNOMITE! He's a three pitch guy. He doesn't have much endurance but he has averaged over 100 innings in his career.

5. Jerry Little, Throws R. Two pitch guy. Good stamina and good GB%. WHIP is a little high but he doesn't give up many home runs (6 last year). Decent setup guy maybe a closer in a pinch.
    Last edited by wolvie109; 11-29-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Beloved Former Owner DukeRulesMAB's Avatar

Through SS, this appears to be a fairly weak FA class. Most of the best players are on the wrong side of 30 (and many are declining), or are Doug Davis and are an ongoing likely inevitable devflop.

Owner/General Manger (no longer former this either!) - Kentucky Juggernaut

Front Office Baseball League Champions: 2011, 2056
    Vaughan League Champions: 2009, 2011, 2012
    Gindin League Champions: 2056, 2057
    Calzone Division Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013
    DEFCON Division Champions: 2058, 2059, 2060
    Vaughan League Wild Card: 2006, 2009

Owner/General Manager (no longer former!) - Austin Amish

Front Office Football League Champions: 2054
    AC Champions: 2054
    AC South Champions: 2005, 2006
    AC West Champions: 2050, 2051, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055
    AC Wild Card: 2007, 2008, 2043, 2045

Inaugural FOFL Commissioner

This has been the best FA cycle what with Len Hayes, Happy Rivera, Brad Phillips, Lonnie Aldis, Rod Riv, on the list. Just haven't gotten to most of them yet.

Beloved Former Owner DukeRulesMAB's Avatar

True, but all/most of those guys are over 30, too. I tend to judge FA classes by the 100K guys graduating, as they tend to still be in their 20s, and are going to get the big contracts. So far, I guess the best two of those are Sanchez and Davis? Meh.

It's not that the older guys don't have value, just the opposite, it's just they aren't typically going to get the monster-ass contracts due to their age and (often) declining skills.

Owner/General Manger (no longer former this either!) - Kentucky Juggernaut

Front Office Baseball League Champions: 2011, 2056
    Vaughan League Champions: 2009, 2011, 2012
    Gindin League Champions: 2056, 2057
    Calzone Division Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013
    DEFCON Division Champions: 2058, 2059, 2060
    Vaughan League Wild Card: 2006, 2009

Owner/General Manager (no longer former!) - Austin Amish

Front Office Football League Champions: 2054
    AC Champions: 2054
    AC South Champions: 2005, 2006
    AC West Champions: 2050, 2051, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055
    AC Wild Card: 2007, 2008, 2043, 2045

Inaugural FOFL Commissioner

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

I think you're missing some 6th year 100K guys who are coming out this year. I didn't release some of them last file because the Extension Thread wasn't up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I think you're missing some 6th year 100K guys who are coming out this year. I didn't release some of them last file because the Extension Thread wasn't up yet.
    Ahh good to know. I'll make edits or a secondary list after.

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie109 View Post
    Ahh good to know. I'll make edits or a secondary list after.
    File/HTML with new FAs up for your use.

Well, HTML is uploading. It will be up shortly.

Thanks Shaw

EDITED

Just FYI, I noticed that one of the FAs on the list isn't in the FA HTML.
    http://www.thefobl.com/news/html/pla...yer_12885.html

Great breakdown wolvie!

I always liked C Diego Ortiz, and if he gets a fairly cheap 1 year deal he will be an awesome platoon option at catcher at age 35. More than 1 year is iffy though unless its minsal because OOTP catchers tend to break down pretty early. Surprised he is #5 on the list too, I thought OOTP13 had been generating a ton of good offensive catchers.

2B Víctor Sánchez: Too bad about the very low intel, it means a team either sacrifices a lot of defense or treats him exclusively as a 1B. Then again, as a 1B he probably is the best option in free agency.
    Capital City Metropolitans 50 Fucking Years Old!!!

Thanks Buddy. I'm agree with Ortiz and Sanchez. There is Cisco out there too but I didn't list him because of his potential ratings. I don't know how good he will be before he crashes.

Is it just me or have I been seeing less and less players with great Cyan bars on the defensive side. I mean what I don't see are guys like Johnny Glasreth where everything is Cyan. Most are more like Micah Kelly where they are no doubt good but they aren't like Glasreth.

Sometimes I think Markus purposely pooches the default generated rookie ratings just to encourage buying the new version of OOTP with the intriguing 'improved generated rookie ratings' feature. For example, one previous version of OOTP (v9 maybe?) generated a ton of 2B-only infielders.

Some spit-balled impressions about OOTP13 default generated rookie ratings:
    - Probably too many defensive whiz CF's, which makes it tougher to tweak the defensive settings for rookies, since that would mean even more great CF's.
    - Probably too many excellent hitting catchers. They seemed much more scarce in most previous versions, someone probably complained, so Markus increased the default offensive catcher likelihood by too much.
    - Great defensive infielders are too scarce IMO. They don't have to be star offensive players, but OOTP13 should probably generate a lot more awful hitting but slick fielding infielders.
    Capital City Metropolitans 50 Fucking Years Old!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie109 View Post
    EDITED

Just FYI, I noticed that one of the FAs on the list isn't in the FA HTML.
    http://www.thefobl.com/news/html/pla...yer_12885.html

Hmmm... we'll need to make sure he appears in the FA tool.

I'm showing him as a FA in-game and in the HTML. Look at his contract status.

Hmmm. Must have missed him. Thanks Shaw.

No worries, I really appreciate your staying on top of it.

Owner and GM, Washington Piledrivers and Virginia Woodchucks Subby's Avatar

How is Conkey not better? Is he injury prone? That type of split for a LH batter usually means 850+ OPS
    Virginia Woodchucks 2001-2035, 2039-present
    2004, 2010 Solecismic Series Champions
    Gindin League Champions (4) 2004, 2010, 2032, 2060
    Wilderness/Skates Division Champs (9) 2001, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2045, 2048, 2058, 2060

Because hitters hate LAS.

Blue, blue, the sky is blue, the grass is green and your heart is true,
    You got more colors than I ever seen, pink, red, yellow and in between.

FOBL Board of Governors Morgado's Avatar

Conkey is the Daunte Culpepper of the FOBL. That is all.

Davenport Falcons - 2043 FOBL Solecismic Series Winners

(05 OCT 2011) 09:56:52 am [kurtism]: morg is the honey badger of economic analysts
    Jenny's Constant = [(7^((e/1)-(1/e)) - 9)]*(pi)^2
    I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
    Because hitters hate LAS.
    Lee McKittrick is confused.
    Owner/GM, Utica Wombats
    Solecismic Series Champs - 2015
    Vaughan League Champs - 2015, 2024, 2035, 2045, 2046
    Ice Cream Sandwich Division Champs - 2036, 2046, 2048

Nor'Easter Division Champs - 2004-2007, 2010, 2013-2016, 2023, 2025, 2027, 2034
    Vaughan League Wild Card - 2024, 2033, 2035, 2037, 2044, 2045

Owner/GM, Happy Valley Hippies
    AC East Division Champs - 2019, 2027, 2039
    AC Wild Card - 2020, 2031