Thread: 2044 Free Agency Wrap-Up

Beloved Former Owner DukeRulesMAB's Avatar

Default 2044 Free Agency Wrap-Up

Not as sexy of a free agent season this year as compared to last year, but some solid players did test the market. Even if a couple of them were really stupid!

1. RB Daniel McWilliams

New Team: Chesapeake
    Old Team: New Jersey
    Terms: $66M/3 years ($48M Bonus)
    Experience: 6th year

One of the gems of this year's free agency goes to one of FOFL's strongest francises, with a big bonus contract. McWilliams replaces BJ Morris, who has mediocre ratings, but may have just had the best RB season in Chesapeake's illustrious history. McWilliams had some ratings slippage coming out of training camp, and may be a bit of an albatross by the time this deal is over. For now, though, one of FOFL's rich gets richer.

2. G Alex Rose

New Team: Washington
    Old Team: San Francisco
    Terms: $65M/3 years ($60M Bonus)
    Experience: 7th year

Speaking of the rich getting richer, Rose is one of the 10 most talented players in FOFL. While this is a huge bonus contract, there is little risk to Washington outside of injury, as Rose shows no signs of slowing down in his prime.

3. TE Leland Moultrie

New Team: State College
    Old Team: Canton-McKinney
    Terms: $65M/3 years ($41M Bonus)
    Experience: 8th year

Moutrie is one of FOFL's very best at tight end, a blocking machine who can also catch the ball. I do, however, question the expenditure, as State College appears to be quite a while from contention, and by the time they get there, Moutrie will be done.

4. DE Rodney Turnbull

New Team: Alabama
    Old Team: Cloud City
    Terms: $64M/4 years ($30M Bonus)
    Experience: 4th year

Alabama was one of last year's surprises, and they were active in free agency this season. Turnbull may be FOFL's best run stopper, and while he's no great pass rusher, he provides a lot of value to Alabama at a reasonable price. In just his 4th year, Turnbull will have value for years to come.

5. C Deion Hawes

New Team: Lackawanna
    Terms: $48M/4 years ($21M Bonus)

The first of two big time centers to hit free agency this year, Hawes is a crazy good run blocker who is only so-so against the pass rush. Still a very good contract for a young player for Lackawanna, as their starter last year couldn't pass block anyone.

6. CB Cole Lunn

New Team: Westchester
    Old Team: Westchester
    Terms: $42.93M/3 years ($22.3M Bonus)

The best CB on the market resigns with Westchester at a reasonable number. Normally, this is where I scold the team for costing themselves money by letting their player hit the market, but I don't think this contract is terribly out of line with what Lunn would have gotten in an extension.

7. C Vincent Shaeffer

New Team: Austin
    Old Team: The Village
    Terms: $42M/3 years ($15M BonuS)

The other star center on the market, Shaeffer is more an all-arounder to Hawes's specialty. I'm biased, I'm sure, but this low bonus contract for one of FOFL's best centers in his 4th year appear to be one of the bargains of free agency.

8. DE Harold Cobb

New Team: Chesapeake
    Old Team: Chesapeake
    Terms: $36M/3 years ($9M Bonus)
    Experience: 11th year

Another resign, the veteran Cobb is a 5-time all-FOFL player, and one of Chesapeake's all time greats. While Cobb is getting up there in years, the low bonus assures Chesapeake of a gentle let down should be decline rapidly or retire early.

9. DT Bernard Pinkston

New Team: Jupiter
    Old Team: San Francisco
    Terms: $33M/3 years ($15M Bonus)
    Experience: 6th year

Pinkston signed a huge salary/tiny bonus contract with San Francisco last year, but was released to make room for some of their younger stars getting a raise. Jupiter swoops in with a more traditional contract, and a good one. Pinkston is still in his prime, and is ideally suited for the 3-4.

10. DT Irving Tubbs

New Team: Alabama
    Old Team: Washington
    Terms: $32M/3 years ($15M Bonus)
    Experience: 10th year

Alabama's other big grab this season, Tubbs is still one of FOFL's better defensive tackles; an all-arounder who is equally solid against the run and the pass. The problem: Alabama already has a starting defensive tackle and plays the 3-4. They have plenty of cap space, but one wonders if this contract couldn't have gone to more of a need position.

11. DE Desmond Algoe

Terms: $27.03M/3 years (30K Bonus)

Algoe must have the worst agent on earth, as he signed a completely stupid deal with $30,000 in bonus money. Washington then needed the cap space and released him. Algoe then signed a $21m/3 year deal in Charleston for 3 million in bonus money; still crappy, but better! Algoe's no superstar, but he's a solid starter, and Charleston can pull the plug any time they want with no pain.

12. G Byron Godfrey

Old Team: Dodge City
    Terms: $27.03M/3 years (30K Bonus)

Another boneheaded contract acceptance, though at least he managed to stick around on Washington. Subby must have compromising pictures of these guys. Anyway, Godfrey isn't much of a run blocker, but is very good against the pass rush. Washington's offensive line is now a major strength, and if they later need to move resources around, they can bail on Godfrey painlessly.

13. QB Arnie Midget

New Team: Keene
    Old Team: The Village
    Terms: $27M/3 years ($15M Bonus)
    Experience: 7th year

Keene grabs the best QB on the market this year, in Arnie Midget, a journeyman type who straddles the line between borderline starter and quality backup. He's never starter, but will get every chance in Keene, who hopes to copy the success of Alabama, who rocketed to the top of the standings following a similar QB signing in last year's free agency.

14. T Irving Goosey

New Team: French
    Old Team: Alabama
    Terms: $25.6M/3 years ($9.6M Bonus)

Goosey signed, and then was immediately suspended (presumably for the year). Ouch. Otherwise, he's a solid pass blocker who has the endurance of my grandmother, and would have helped a quality French team quite a bit.

15. TE Matt Glave

New Team: Madison
    Old Team: Breizh
    Terms: $22.24M/3 years ($7.8M Bonus)
    Experience: 12th year

Glave is a veteran who can still play, and this is a completely reasonable contract for him. Madison is trying to put a receiving corps around stud QB Steve Mayes, who likely will take the ball this year, and Glave can help him in his formative years.

Owner/General Manger (no longer former this either!) - Kentucky Juggernaut

Front Office Baseball League Champions: 2011, 2056
    Vaughan League Champions: 2009, 2011, 2012
    Gindin League Champions: 2056, 2057
    Calzone Division Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013
    DEFCON Division Champions: 2058, 2059, 2060
    Vaughan League Wild Card: 2006, 2009

Owner/General Manager (no longer former!) - Austin Amish

Front Office Football League Champions: 2054
    AC Champions: 2054
    AC South Champions: 2005, 2006
    AC West Champions: 2050, 2051, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055
    AC Wild Card: 2007, 2008, 2043, 2045

Inaugural FOFL Commissioner

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

Good stuff.

I didn't resign Rose because (1) I fucked up with 2 franchise tags; (2) I couldn't have afforded him anyway; and (3) how does a guy with 100 Blocking Strength have so few pancakes?

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time.

CHE landed the high bars RB - he is a good fit, and I'm ok with that, but I really did get a lot out of the so-so guys we fielded last year. I thin a 2x 1,000 yard rusher season may be in the offing. Don't know that I've ever done that in a serious MP league.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
    I thin(k) a 2x 1,000 yard rusher season may be in the offing. Don't know that I've ever done that in a serious MP league.
    Just missed it. New guy posted 948, while the incumbent had 1,383. We did manage to be, pretty comfortably, the #1 rushing team in the league both in total yards and yards per carry, so have to be happy with that, I suppose.

(still not convinced we actually win any games by running the ball)

Beloved Former Owner DukeRulesMAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
    Just missed it. New guy posted 948, while the incumbent had 1,383. We did manage to be, pretty comfortably, the #1 rushing team in the league both in total yards and yards per carry, so have to be happy with that, I suppose.

(still not convinced we actually win any games by running the ball)

My question is less can you win with the running game (much like real life, I'm sure you can, but it's much harder with a much lower ceiling). But the question I have about CHE is whether there are real benefits to the 2 RB system as there would be in real life. Are the runners fresher and more effective because they are carrying less? Or is there no meaningful difference between what CHE is doing and what they'd have if one of them just ran 90% of the time?

Owner/General Manger (no longer former this either!) - Kentucky Juggernaut

Front Office Baseball League Champions: 2011, 2056
    Vaughan League Champions: 2009, 2011, 2012
    Gindin League Champions: 2056, 2057
    Calzone Division Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013
    DEFCON Division Champions: 2058, 2059, 2060
    Vaughan League Wild Card: 2006, 2009

Owner/General Manager (no longer former!) - Austin Amish

Front Office Football League Champions: 2054
    AC Champions: 2054
    AC South Champions: 2005, 2006
    AC West Champions: 2050, 2051, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055