Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion - Playoof Format

FOBL Board of Governors Morgado's Avatar

Default Discussion - Playoof Format

Having now witnessed COL slay the rasta monsta in the first round, we are kicking this shitstorm back up. So, the 64 dollar questions:

1. How many teams do you think should make the playoofs?

2. Do you care if there is a minimum number of teams that make the playoofs from each division? If so, how many? A maximum perhaps?

3. How offended are you if a team below .500 makes the playoofs? Wins the SS? A little? A lot? Not at all? Ready to punch a clown level angry?

4. Do you care about byes? If you want them, who should get them?

5. WHO GETS TEH MONIES? (How would you want the 23 million in playoff cash distributed?)

Current Playoof Monies:

C. The four teams in each division at the end of the season who qualify for the playoffs receive $800k, $600k, $400k, and $200k in order of seeding. Winners in each playoff round will receive an additional $1 million in revenue. Therefore, in addition to standings bonuses, the SS winner will receive an extra $4 million, the SS loser an extra $3 million, the LCS losers an extra $2 million, and first-round winners an extra $1 million.
    -----

My answers:

1. Six

2. Two highest in standings per division. Remaining two spots in each league to the highest remaining records regardless of division. Single game tiebreakers if necessary.

3. I am offended if a sub-.500 wins the SS. Probably enough to punch tauter or shaw, but not a mime.

4. I am not philosophically opposed to byes. The Division champions should get the byes. The #2s randomly get assigned to play the two wild cards.

5. 1.5m to the 1st and 2nd place teams that auto-bid into the playoofs from each division, 1m to each wild card. Then the same 1m per playoof series win up the chain.

So my wants would have had MBJ Bye playing the winner of UTI-GRN, ARZ bye playing the winner of CAP-BAR, DAV bye playing the winner of SAC-TRI, and VIR bye playing the winner of AYR-WIC (or whatever the random assignments were for the wildcards). BRE, LAS, COL, and MON would not have made the playoofs.

-----

NO VOTES UNTIL WE GET SOME REAL FUCKING DISCUSSIONS

Edit:

(17:09:07) critch: Just tell GRN what the rules are, and GRN will make the playoffs
    (17:10:57) Morgado: lolz
    (17:11:22) wolvie109: haha
    critch ftw
    Last edited by Morgado; 03-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Davenport Falcons - 2043 FOBL Solecismic Series Winners

(05 OCT 2011) 09:56:52 am [kurtism]: morg is the honey badger of economic analysts
    Jenny's Constant = [(7^((e/1)-(1/e)) - 9)]*(pi)^2
    I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* \_(ツ)_/

1. How many teams do you think should make the playoofs? <--- Playoofs! Dig it!! 6 max per League. 12 max for FOBL.

2. Do you care if there is a minimum number of teams that make the playoofs from each division? If so, how many? A maximum perhaps? <--- Division winners, plus 4 best per league. Doesn't matter if it's a 2/2 split, 3/1, or 4/0.

3. How offended are you if a team below .500 makes the playoofs? Wins the SS? A little? A lot? Not at all? Ready to punch a clown level angry? <---No disrespect to the teams that fit that criteria, but a team below .500 shouldn't qualify for the playoffs.

4. Do you care about byes? If you want them, who should get them?Byes are fine. I like the idea of the division champ getting a bye; gives weight to winning the division. And 8 teams I think might be too few teams in a 32 team league at this point.

5. WHO GETS TEH MONIES? (How would you want the 23 million in playoff cash distributed?) Top 4 in each division should get a payout; gives incentive to play for a higher position. How it's distributed I have no preference if it's reasonable.

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

1 - I am not inclined to change the playoff structure, but I could live with a 6 team playoff if that is the will of the people.

2 - If we go for 6 teams, I would prefer that we took the top 3 from each division rather than have a wildcard. Divisional playoffs, with a bye for the regular season division champion. Maybe we could also have a minumum win requirement (81 wins?) to make the playoffs to stop a crappy team benefiting from a weak division. In that case the best eligible team from the other division would take the slot. In my quick search of FOBL history I think that a 3rd place team has been below .500 twice since realignment, and both times Wichita would have gotten the extra playoff spot.

3 - Not too bothered, as the DEFCON teams that taint the playoffs with their weak records will be steamrollered by the Skates team in the GL Championship.

4 - Regular season division winners should get byes if anyone is getting them.

5 - If we go for 6 teams, keep the playoff money the same, give the 4th place team $200k, and the division winner gets $1.8m + a bye.
    Las Vegas Sucks!!!!

My response could seem a little disingenuous, since this discussion was rekindled by our early bow.
    But I responded the same before we were a playoof team.

I could cut and paste 'Rope's response, as I 100% agree with him on every point.

Copy cat.

Solecismic Series Champions - 2044, 2047, 2048, 2050, 2053, 2058, 2059
    Vaughan League Champions - 2044,2047,2048,2050,2051,2052,2053,2054,2058,2059
    Ice Cream Sandwich Division Champions - 2043,2044,2045,2046,2047,2049,2050,2051,2052,2054, 2055,2056,2058,2059,2060,2061
    Vaughan League Manager of the Year - 2043, 2044, 2048, 2050

FOBL Board of Governors CubsFan915's Avatar

I still don't trust OOTP to not give a team with a bye some fierce rust.

If we reduce playoff teams, though, three from each division. Winners get the only byes and make $1M. Second and third place make $500K for making the playoffs. Winner makes $250K and gets the division champion. Winners of each division championship series gets $500K and pays the other division in the LCS. Winner makes another $1M and gets to the SS. Winner of the SS makes $1M.

That's $4M for the division winners, $2M for second place teams, $2M for third place teams, $1M total for winning the play-in series (4 x $250K), $1M total for winning the DCS (2 x $500K), $2M total for winning the LCS (2 x $1M), and $1M for the SS. $13M in cash total. The other $10M gets put back in with the rest of the money that we use in the financial system.
    Richmond Confederates

Gindin League Wild Card 2008, 2018, 2028
    Prairie Division Champion 2009
    Gindin League Champion 2028
    Vaughan League Division Semi-Finalist 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055, 2056
    Skates Division Regular Season Champion 2057
    Skates Division Playoff Champion 2057
    Gindin League Division Semi-Finalist 2058

FOBL Board of Governors wolvie109's Avatar

1. My preference is to have 6. It seems like there will be a lot more activity having to worry about getting in. It makes the regular season more competitive.

2. Division winners and the rest of the best. This also goes into making things more competitive. Since I started, the only thing I would usually look at after each sim is 1) my dev report, 2) the financial report, and 3) how my team is doing in relation to the rest of the division. You won't be able to assure yourself a playoff spot by just being the 4th best. Having 6 teams will likely mean the teams that are trying to skate in or trying to squeak out one more year from their team will likely no be able to do so. I do want division winner to get in because it gives the divisions a reason for existing, but everyone else can go fight for whatever spots are left. I think most times it will be a 3/3 split or a 4/2 split. It will be rare that only one team gets in from a division, but I would rather reward the better records than the team's standing in the division.

3. Seeing as how I was only 2 games over .500 when I won, I don't think I'd be as offended as a lot of other people. I do agree that we don't want a 7-9 Seattle Seahawks getting into the playoffs. I doubt any team with a losing record feels that they deserve to be in the playoffs. I think again if you change it to 6 teams, you could get a .500 team in the playoffs, but that will be very unlikely.

4. Byes should go to the division winners. Might as well put more weight to the regular season.

5. Playoff cash should go to the guys that are in the playoffs.

8 per league.

2. Do you care if there is a minimum number of teams that make the playoofs from each division? If so, how many? A maximum perhaps?
    I'd prefer to keep it as is (which is a minimum and maximum of 4 teams per division), or scrapping the divisions altogether and taking the top 8 teams per league.

3a. How offended are you if a team below .500 makes the playoofs?
    I'm not offended.
    3b. Wins the SS?
    0% offended.
    3c. A little?
    Maybe less than zero percent offended. Perhaps minus 10% offended.
    3d. A lot?
    No, not offended at all.
    3e. Not at all?
    Yes, that answer.
    3f. Ready to punch a clown level angry?
    If anything I'm offended that others could be bothered by this possibility, it seems like a classic 'me > we' mentality. More teams reaching the play-offs helps league parity. It should encourage more owner activity in general (exports) & more trading and RFA spending specifically. For several teams this is likely their only chance to win an FOBL crown. The one down side is that more play-off teams slightly decreases the odds that a dominant season team wins the Championship Series. Gosh, when you say that out loud it does sound pretty onerous doesn't it? Fucking boo-hoo-hoo dominant FOBL teams.

4a. Do you care about byes?
    Not a fan. Is there any way we can dramatically increase the Championship Series odds of dominant teams that have already beaten the crap out of their division for the last 2.5 real time months? Sure - let's give them an automatic play-off victory! Bye-bye byes.

4b. If you want them, who should get them?
    N/A.

5. WHO GETS TEH MONIES? (How would you want the 23 million in playoff cash distributed?)
    I'm not certain how we split this currently but I'd prefer there be good amount of incentive cash just for making the play-offs. For 16 teams I'd go with this round by round breakdown (SS winner would get 3.5m in this set up):
    16: $750K (12m)
    8 : $750K (6m)
    4 : $750K (3m)
    2 : $750K (1.5m)
    1 : $500K (500K)

Come on people - get in and participate...

(05 OCT 2011) 09:56:52 am [kurtism]: morg is the honey badger of economic analysts
    I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* \_(ツ)_/

FOBL Board of Governors Draft Dodger's Avatar

pretty happy with the way things are now. not even remotely offended if a sub .500 gets in

FOBL Board of Governors CubsFan915's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgado View Post
    Come on people - get in and participate...

Wow... Only 2 hours before the first "participate dammit"?
    Richmond Confederates

Gindin League Wild Card 2008, 2018, 2028
    Prairie Division Champion 2009
    Gindin League Champion 2028
    Vaughan League Division Semi-Finalist 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055, 2056
    Skates Division Regular Season Champion 2057
    Skates Division Playoff Champion 2057
    Gindin League Division Semi-Finalist 2058

I find begging early and often helps.

BTW, if people don't want to change anything, that's fine too. We just need to know.

I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* \_(ツ)_/

That's a nice gif.

I would like everyone to keep in mind that the $23M is arbitrary. It used to be $15M under the old system but was changed to accommodate the increase in playoff teams (and rounds). As a reminder, 1st place gets $800k, 2nd $600k, 3rd $400k, and 4th $200k. If there is a tie between playoff teams the money is split evenly between the positions (so if the 2nd and 3rd place teams are tied, each gets $500k).

Blue, blue, the sky is blue, the grass is green and your heart is true,
    You got more colors than I ever seen, pink, red, yellow and in between.

1. 8 or 4
    2. No
    3. Not at all.
    4a. I don't like byes, and would vote against 6 per league just to make sure we didn't have them.
    4b. N/A
    5. Depends on the final resolution.
    FOBL Santa Cruz Sea Lions
    2008 Solecismic Series Champions
    2008, 2030 Gindin League Champions
    2008, 2012, 2016 Dola Division Champions
    2041 DEFCON Division Champions
    2009, 2019, 2029, 2030 Gindin League Wild Card

FOFL Davis Toads
    2033, 2034 NC Conference Champions
    2012, 2019, 2023, 2031, 2033, 2034 NC West Champions
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2035, 2038 NC Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
    I would like everyone to keep in mind that the $23M is arbitrary. It used to be $15M under the old system but was changed to accommodate the increase in playoff teams (and rounds). As a reminder, 1st place gets $800k, 2nd $600k, 3rd $400k, and 4th $200k. If there is a tie between playoff teams the money is split evenly between the positions (so if the 2nd and 3rd place teams are tied, each gets $500k).
    Very good point - so, feel free to change the number or not change the number or frame your opinion however you like.

I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* \_(ツ)_/

I'm good as is. If the collective will is to change it, then so be it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trenton Roadkill - 2040 FOBL Champions

We could let 16 teams from each league into the playoffs and Boston would probably still miss, so I have no objections to 8, 6, 4, whatever.

I'm pretty much Buddy's bitch on this one. The advantage of 8 is that it least gives me the delusion that I *might* make the playoffs just by sitting around and ass-fucking my thumb, but I'm pragmatic enough to recognize my delusions. Gives me a reason to keep drinking.

As long as we're beating the shit out of DES (that whole sporr nemesis thing), I consider it a successful season.

[JamesTKirk]SPORR![/JamesTKirk]
    Nemesis of sporr *to be named later

Beloved Former Owner Malificent's Avatar

I'm completely indifferent in this matter.

I'm completely indifferent to Mali's indifferent, which constitutes a vote of support for his position once we cancel out the zeroes.

I'm also now declaring a two hour moratorium on posting in this thread so Morg has to put up that gif again.

I have no problem at all with the current setup. Frankly, it's hard to properly hear all the pissing and moaning about #1 seeds maybe (/actually) getting knocked out by #4 seeds, as it's badly muffled by EMANATING FROM DEEP WITHIN A FUCKING EMPTY BALL-SAC!!!!!!!! Shit, you'd think that Alan Alda and James Taylor had been given teams in this league, what with all this beta wussitude.
    Last edited by CJP; 03-21-2013 at 02:04 AM.
    "You know, some people say life is short and that you could get hit by a bus at any moment and that you have to live each day like it's your last. Bullshit. Life is long. You're probably not gonna get hit by a bus. And you're gonna have to live with the choices you make for the next fifty years."
    -Chris Rock

I think it would be a big help if Jessica Alba were the prize at the end of the rainbow.

I don't really care how we set the playoffs up, but I reserve the right to cry like a rasta when we're the #1 seed and get dumped without winning a ring.

Owner/GM - Minnesota Windchill - Winter Is Coming
    FOBL Champs: 2012
    Gindin League Champs: 2012
    Wilderness Division Champs: 2012, 2013
    GL Wild Card Winner: 2011

KATE WANTS ONLY SUBSTANTIVE RESPONSES, U ASSHATS

NOW LETS FUCK SOME DISCUSSION ON

(08:56:49) Morgado: The only real beef I have is that I want the best teams making the playoofs
    (08:56:50) Morgado: even if we stay at 8
    (08:57:12) Morgado: i'd rather see only two autobids from each division and then let's not screw the 90 win 5th place team

I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by tauter View Post

I don't really care how we set the playoffs up, but I reserve the right to cry like a rasta when we're the #1 seed and get dumped without winning a ring.

The Rasta Doctah ain't crying. I'm almost as happy setting the FOBL record for wins in 3 consecutive seasons as I would've been getting a 2nd straight ring.

Interesting but not surpising note:
    The #4 seeds this year had a combined .498 winning percentage. #3 seeds came in at .532.
    (The guy dreamin' of blowjobs from dudes was the only sub-.500 3 seed.)

Solecismic Series Champions - 2044, 2047, 2048, 2050, 2053, 2058, 2059
    Vaughan League Champions - 2044,2047,2048,2050,2051,2052,2053,2054,2058,2059
    Ice Cream Sandwich Division Champions - 2043,2044,2045,2046,2047,2049,2050,2051,2052,2054, 2055,2056,2058,2059,2060,2061
    Vaughan League Manager of the Year - 2043, 2044, 2048, 2050

1. How many teams do you think should make the playoofs? 6 from each league, top 3 from each division

2. Do you care if there is a minimum number of teams that make the playoofs from each division? If so, how many? A maximum perhaps? If it's division winners plus next 4, regardless of alignment, that's fine, too.

3. How offended are you if a team below .500 makes the playoofs? Wins the SS? A little? A lot? Not at all? Ready to punch a clown level angry? I'm fine with it..we can't all be Montego Bay

4. Do you care about byes? If you want them, who should get them? Division winners would get byes.

5. WHO GETS TEH MONIES? (How would you want the 23 million in playoff cash distributed?) Haven't thought this through, but my gut says $1mm each for the playoff teams, $1mm each for each LCS team, $1mm for each SS team, and $1mm for the winner. $19mm in total playoff kitty with the SS winner getting $4mm of it.
    Milwaukee MicroBrewers: Winning in Small Batches since 2001

2020 Vaughan League Champions
    2021, 2023, 2024, 2026 Darn Tootin' Champions

I would like 6. I think interest has increased substantially since we raised from 4 but I think having half the league make the playoofs is a bit much.

2. Do you care if there is a minimum number of teams that make the playoofs from each division?
    If so, how many? A maximum perhaps?
    Would like top X of each division. Makes the divisions more meaningful to me. I pay

3. How offended are you if a team below .500 makes the playoofs? Wins the SS? A little? A lot? Not at all? Ready to punch a clown level angry?
    Not at all. Why would 82-80 winning a title not bother me but an 80-82 team would? That said (F off Buddy), I would like the lessen the liklihood of it happening.

4. Do you care about byes? If you want them, who should get them?
    Don't bother me at all.

5. WHO GETS TEH MONIES? (How would you want the 23 million in playoff cash distributed?
    Perhaps we could give more monies for regular season finish and lessen the playoof advancement cash rewards? Lessens the random nature of the playoofs a bit more.

Owner/GM - Alabama Pink Elephants