Thread: Discussion: Removing Rule VII - H (roster restrictions - injuries)

Default Discussion: Removing Rule VII - H (roster restrictions - injuries)

I propose we remove rule VII - H from our constitution's "ROSTER, POSITION AND INDIVIDUAL PLAYER SETTING RESTRICTIONS" section.

Here is the current rule:
    H. During the regular season, players who are listed as "out with injury" for greater than two weeks do not count toward the 25 active player requirement and must be replaced on the major league roster until they are at most six days away from recovery. This rule does not apply during the playoffs or after rosters expand on September 1. During the playoffs, players who are out with injuries may only be placed on the post-season roster if they will recover from their injuries during the post-season. Those players eligible may not be slotted in a role until the sim in which they will recover. If the injured player is normally a starter, the team must slot an eligible player at his position in the starting lineup.

Reasons why the rule was put in place:
    1. To avoid any advantage a team might get from having OOTP put a reliever in as a SP.
    2. To avoid any advantage a team might get from having OOTP pitch a better SP on short rest.
    3. To reduce tanking.

Reasons why we can remove it completely:
    1. We've long since moved to a version of OOTP where there is no restriction on SP/MR/CL usage roles, so the concern about using a reliever as a SP is no longer applicable.
    2. Regarding advantages of using SP's on short rest, we now use a version of OOTP where this is no longer the advantage it was in previous versions. In fact, there now appears to be serious disadvantages to this practice since using a tired pitcher reduces their effectiveness and increases their chance of injury.
    3. We've created new financial rules to avert tanking, along with a dramatic reduction in other old tanking related roster rules like requiring a player to only play a position he is rated at. Again, this was due to changes in OOTP since the original FOBL Constitution were written. IMO that means the tanking concern aspect of this rule is also no longer applicable.

Besides no longer needing this rule (as argued above) removing the rule also reduces admin work, and would likely contribute positively to the related "FOBL Injury Setting" rule discussion in this thread.

What do you guys think?

I'm good with this rule. I second that emotion. Well, if you feel like giving me a lifetime of devotion. I second that emotion.

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

I thought another reason for adopting this rule was to encourage spending through requiring somebody to be brought up as a replacement. If it was a guy on a MLC, then there goes 100K in salary. Maybe I'm wrong.

That said, with the salary floor, that reason is gone too.

I don't have a problem axing this provision.

On first glance, I don't have a real objection to this either. I think one concern was having teams like ATL or NRW when they were in their abandoned stages, with 21 viable players that would lead to odd pitching or lineup situations. I think Buddy's right that pitching isn't as much of a concern as overused guys will pay for such usage.

I think in general it's still beneficial for teams to make these changes (especially with a 14-day DL), but I don't know if it needs to be mandated any longer.

Blue, blue, the sky is blue, the grass is green and your heart is true,
    You got more colors than I ever seen, pink, red, yellow and in between.

FOBL Board of Governors Morgado's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
    I think one concern was having teams like ATL or NRW when they were in their abandoned stages, with 21 viable players that would lead to odd pitching or lineup situations.
    I am not familiar with the origins of the rule, but this seems a lot more likely to me than a finances basis for the rule. It is another way to account for gaps in the old OOTP substitution logic and position penalties (which have been presumably addressed a long time ago by Markus).

Davenport Falcons - 2043 FOBL Solecismic Series Winners

(05 OCT 2011) 09:56:52 am [kurtism]: morg is the honey badger of economic analysts
    Jenny's Constant = [(7^((e/1)-(1/e)) - 9)]*(pi)^2
    I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* \_(ツ)_/

(Or Dark Cloud. Whichever works.) Young Drachma's Avatar

Yeah dump it. It's an antiquated rule from a long bygone era of OOTP.
    FOBL: Helsinki Clowns (2063-)
    previously: Fresno Tacos (2062), Salt Lake City Elders (2048-58), Marlboro Townies (2038-43), Bantam Originals (2028-35)
    2064 Solecismic Series Champion
    2064 Gindin League Champion
    Division Titles: 2039, 2043, 2051
    Wild Card: 2040, 2041

I have no objection.
    Las Vegas Sucks!!!!

Let's do it

I'll get some voting threads up on issues this offseason, including this one.

FOBL Board of Governors Morgado's Avatar

BTW big ups to Buddy for actually posting a proposed change rather than the usual bish threads we get! Woo!

Edit: The more I think about it, the more it seems like this was a component that worked with position requirements (which are also largely gone) to prevent really bad AI management during sims. It was like the individual mandate (GET HEALTHY OR DIE) part of the position restrictions package - now that there's no position restrictions package, there's less reason to care about the DL rules. All we really kept was the staff and rotation requirements, which can be useful even separate from the rest of the stuff. I think there were some AI "running out of pitchers" shenaniganz that came out in the early days (see this thread for backstory, particularly Bartling), and forcing players to move injured and unusable players off the roster to replace with usable bodies ensured the AI had sufficient options. Roster requirements that mandated minimum 10 man staffs and position slotting further ensured that, since there would then be not only usable bodies but the appropriate usable bodies on the roster during the sim.

Buddy's reasons we can remove 1 and 2 are where I think the meat of it is. Especially with rules VII.B and VII.G in the shawstitution that mandate you need to have 10 pitchers and the "improved" pitching substitution, there's much less of a problem, if any at all. Striking VII.H seems like it's fine.
    Last edited by Morgado; 04-04-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Davenport Falcons - 2043 FOBL Solecismic Series Winners

(05 OCT 2011) 09:56:52 am [kurtism]: morg is the honey badger of economic analysts
    Jenny's Constant = [(7^((e/1)-(1/e)) - 9)]*(pi)^2
    I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* \_(ツ)_/

Shall we put this up for a vote? Any more discussion?

Let's vote. I'm for it.
    FOBL Santa Cruz Sea Lions
    2008 Solecismic Series Champions
    2008, 2030 Gindin League Champions
    2008, 2012, 2016 Dola Division Champions
    2041 DEFCON Division Champions
    2009, 2019, 2029, 2030 Gindin League Wild Card

FOFL Davis Toads
    2033, 2034 NC Conference Champions
    2012, 2019, 2023, 2031, 2033, 2034 NC West Champions
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2035, 2038 NC Wild Card

Barring any further discussion in the next day or so, this will be put to a vote this week.