Thread: 2040 FOBL Mock Draft

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

Default 2040 FOBL Mock Draft

From our friend Jim Niginiowitz, rerouted through 17 anonymizing proxy servers to keep insane FOBL owners from hunting him down.

Part 1 of 3

1. Montego Bay -- Too late to get this preview, but this pick surprised me.

(Actual Pick: 3B Al Petty)

2. Virginia -- Risky pick here, but that's Subby's MO.

(Actual Pick: P Raul Jimenez)

3. Orono -- If this were going to be anything but an OTTO pick, I would say SP Manny Galvan is the obvious pick. Four plus pitches and he's ready now. Instead, ORO gets SS Ernie Holland, a nice pick in his own right.

(Actual Pick: SP Manny Galvan)

4. Richmond -- RIC needs a stud SP prospect, so Cubs is probably holding Digamma hostage in a dank basement somewhere. If Holland goes at 1(3), the speed with which Cubs takes Galvan might break the laws of physics.

(Actual Pick: SP Gus Gill)

5. Santa Cruz -- With Galvan and Holland off the board, Clint shocks the FOBL by taking SP Len West, the most ML-ready SP left on the board. Why? Two reasons: (1) He's in a division with ALK; and (2) all his top hitting prospects are ML-ready, so his window is opening now.

(Actual Pick: SP Len West)

6. Davenport -- Morgado has 27 1st rounders to play with here, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a chance on young SP Pat Maslen. Why Maslen instead of SP Jerry McKee? McKee's lack of velocity and Maslen's FIVE… FIVE DOLLAR FOOTLONG PLUS PITCHES.

(Actual Pick: 3B Manolo Rodriguez)

7. Utica -- The run on SP stops here. Nick needs DONGS. And he needs home runs. LF Hee-seop Pak proves to be a tantalizing Korean treat, with his Very High work ethic and game-changing bat.

(Actual Pick: SS Ernie Holland)

8. Capital City -- Usually, when CAP is in a down cycle, Buddy is still picking in the teens and he grabs the best RP available. That stops here with the selection of 3B Manolo Rodriguez, a SHB OBP machine with an acceptable work ethic and slick glove.

(Actual Pick: SP Pat Maslen)

9. Norwich -- I have no fucking idea what MalcPow will do here, assuming he picks. Good thing for him is NRW's draft picks are automatically signed. I'll say SP Jerry McKee just because that makes Parts 2 and 3 easier for me to write.

(Actual Pick: CF Jerry Oliver)

10. Columbus -- Crow could use a quality arm here, but the lure of CF Fergus Battams' bat and name is too much to pass up.

(Actual Pick: LF Hee-seop Pak)
    Last edited by Hollywood; 11-01-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Part 2 of 3

11. Portland -- PT has lots of ML-ready prospects and would probably accept a young SP here to space out his system, but LF Theo Golby's almost risk-free bat will be the pick.

(Actual Pick: LF Theo Golby)

12. Arizona -- Rope needs some studly arms to keep him warm at night. Look for SP Daron Roach to be his cuddle buddy for the next 5 fake years.

(Actual Pick: SP Daron Roach)

13. Triangle -- Like with NRW, I have a better chance of figuring out Chaos Theory and Quantum Physics than accurately predicting Vaj's draft strategy. Let's say CF Jerry Oliver just for shits and giggles.

(Actual Pick: RF Darryl Conklin)

14. Hollywood -- You think I'm gonna give my... err... you think Jim Niginowitz is gonna give away the draft strategy for his close personal friend Shaw? {Clay Davis}Sheeeeeeeeeit.{/Clay Davis}

(Actual Pick: CL/soon-to-be SP R.J. Lawson)

15. Ayr -- The 1st-round-worthy SPs are dwindling here, so I look for Ryan to grab SP Mo Basnett, who has a bit more upside than SP Ernie Brown or SP Hector Martinez.

(Actual Pick: SP Jerry McKee)

16. Davenport (from Utah) -- Having gone with a bat with his first pick, Morgado's natural Asian sense of balance will prod him into taking a SP here. Not gonna happen. Look for hard worker and Rhodes Scholar OF Nate Ladd to come off the board here.

(Actual Pick: SS Dani Rivera)

17. Queens -- Ramz isn't afraid of young, stupid or lazy fake players. He bucks the trend and takes 2B Deron Phillips to strengthen his holes. His infield holes. What did you think I meant?

(Actual Pick: CF Fergus Battams)

18. Trenton -- PBot makes the safe pick with RF Darryl Conklin, a speedy OBP machine.

(Actual Pick: SP Ernie Brown)

19. Davenport (from Wisconsin) -- I can see Morgado trading this pick to MBJ for one of the offered prospects, but Morg will try to extract extra value from Doc and get told to fuck right off. Morg then rolls the dice with CL/soon-to-be SP R.J. Lawson.

(Actual Pick: OF Nate Ladd)

20. Wichita -- Stung by Morgado's cunning, Simms resigns himself to SP Hector Martinez.

(Actual Pick: 3B Pat Alexander)
    Last edited by Hollywood; 11-02-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Part 2 complete. Part 3 might not make it.

Fantastic. I considered a position player at 1.8 but would always go for an elite SP first if given a choice. Usually these are long gone by the time the draft reaches CAP and I settle for an elite position player if they are available. If those guys are gone as well I'll happily settle for an elite RP. With these types of stacked crops you can't really go wrong with any 1st rounder, there should always be some elite guys remaining in the top 32.

For my pick I had 2 excellent SP options in Jerry McKee and Pat Maslen, and J.J. "Dyno-Mite" Walker was a consideration as well (poor stamina ruled Walker out). Maslen was listed as 'strickly BP' which was the only real concern there, but I'm hoping that is just the FAC being crazy. I would guess he's listed that way because he has no fastball (!), but his stamina was the same as McKee, he throws right-handed (good for my park), and his GB% & injury rating was better than McKee. The only position player I considered seriously was CF Fergus Battams.

Re: 3B Manolo Rodríguez - excellent choice and I definitely like the gap hitters for my park, but again, IMO top SP's will trump the position players, I just usually don't get that option.

Shaw had that pick nailed for Santa Cruz, and even had one of the principle reasons correct.
    FOBL Santa Cruz Sea Lions
    2008 Solecismic Series Champions
    2008, 2030 Gindin League Champions
    2008, 2012, 2016 Dola Division Champions
    2041 DEFCON Division Champions
    2009, 2019, 2029, 2030 Gindin League Wild Card

FOFL Davis Toads
    2033, 2034 NC Conference Champions
    2012, 2019, 2023, 2031, 2033, 2034 NC West Champions
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2035, 2038 NC Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by clintl View Post
    Shaw had that pick nailed for Santa Cruz, and even had one of the principle reasons correct.

Part 3 must make it, I need to know who to draft!
    Current Owner: Poughkeepsie Paladins/FOBL
    Past Owner: Myrtle Beach Magicians/FOFL

If anyone would be laying the smiting hand of God over anyone, it's us.

Poughkeepsie Round Table of Honor: Manuel Pearson, Cesar Gomez, Edward Ballard. Laurence Gonsalves

FOFL Champions Myrtle Beach Magicians-2025. Yes the Apocalypse is coming.

Part 3 of 3

21. Milwaukee -- MIL has almost nobody in their system who will hit for a high average. Like it or not as a statistic, it is part of OBP. I believe MIL reaches a bit here for SS Dani Rivera, a safe player in the perfect age range and who will develop into a 10+ years starter in the middle of Bing's infield.

(Actual Pick: CF Pepe Rivera)

22. Boston -- Drake has done a tremendous job of developing BOS into an organization capable of making several deep runs into the playoffs, but he realizes that he needs at least two dominant SPs to get the elusive ring. Because of BOS' depth, I believe he goes for it here and picks CL-soon-to-be-SP Denver Cornett in the hopes that Cornett can give him Juan Carlos Rivera-type dominance for $100K. If it doesn't work out, Drake picks up a stud SP for pennies on the dollar around the AS break and Cornett moves right into the beleaguered BOS bullpen. Almost no risk.

(Actual Pick: 2B Deron Phillips)

23. Hollywood (from Marlboro) -- See #14.

(Actual Pick: LF Victor Jimenez)

24. Poughkeepsie -- Ah, the annual Russian Roulette game known as the POU first round pick. Does it really matter who Dan takes here? Well, perhaps. I think Dan has his eye on Cornett as a sure-thing type of pick. With Cornett likely off the board no later than 22, POU takes the next best thing: CL-soon-to-be-SP Doug Thompson. Why not MR Chet Stanley? Stanley's 2 END will scare Dan off. More than likely, Thompson's stuff isn't enough to sustain a starting gig, but he'll be a top-flight RP if not. And little to no bust risk.

(Actual Pick: SS Bud Ross)

25. Barstow -- BAR could use a stud SP, but I believe there will be a run on the CL/SP type before this pick, leaving DD to satiate his needs with a young boy. A fake young boy. Which is still prosecutable under some states' laws. His name? CF Kel Bunch. BAR has enough talent stockpiled at higher levels to let a 17-year-old develop.

(Actual Pick: RP/SP Chet Stanley)

26. Las Vegas -- I have lost too many games trying to out-think Cuervo when it comes to FOBL. If If the draft shook out as I predicted, and I had to bet money on it, I'd say he goes with 3B Pat Alexander over LF Victor Jimenez because of Jimenez's terribad work ethic.

(Actual Pick: CF Delroy Rivers)

27. Portland (from Des Moines) -- Pine is fully capable of starting another run on RP-to-SPs with a young gun, but I think he stays safe with this pick and hopes he can get a 17/18-year-old RP with 10+ stuff in the 2nd round. Either one of 3B Pat Alexander or LF Victor Jimenez, whichever survives LAS' pick.

(Actual Pick: CF Kel Bunch)

28. Greenbelt -- GRN is fucking loaded for bear. Definitely somebody like SP J.J. Walker here, or maybe the forgotten SP Ernie Brown.

(Actual Pick: SP Pat Thompson)

29. Durham -- Total best-value-down-the-road pick for Mali with either SP J.J. Walker if GRN passes on him or true Closer Raul Ruiz.

(Actual Pick: 3B Myron Bradley)

30. Arizona (from Indianapolis) -- Hard to pass up a guy like CF Pepe Rivera here. Hitters are devalued in the current FOBL environment

(Actual Pick: P Mo Basnett)

31. Richmond (from Alaska) -- If the draft proceeds as I predict, Cubs has to be ecstatic (moreso than usual) here. There is tons of value left on the board, and he could go a number of directions. Try the RP-to-SP game? He takes RP Chet Stanley, damn the stamina and the Circle Change he throws like a 10-year-old girl. Want a hitter? Go with perennial .400 threat RF Brad Doyle or a solid guy like SHB 3B Myron Bradley. Or trade it. Endless opportunities here.

(Actual Pick: )

32. Davenport (from Montana) -- See RIC at 1-31. All kinds of value at this pick. I see DAV's inherent Feng Shui tendencies coming out here, with him taking either the best available position player or pitcher, whichever gives him an even number of each after 4 1st round picks.

(Actual Pick: )
    Last edited by Hollywood; 11-02-2011 at 04:45 PM.

FOBL Board of Governors CubsFan915's Avatar

Wrong Doug Thompson. Ernie Brown, too.
    Richmond Confederates

Gindin League Wild Card 2008, 2018, 2028
    Prairie Division Champion 2009
    Gindin League Champion 2028
    Vaughan League Division Semi-Finalist 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055, 2056
    Skates Division Regular Season Champion 2057
    Skates Division Playoff Champion 2057
    Gindin League Division Semi-Finalist 2058

Fucking duplicate names.

Thanks... fixed.

Right on the nose, Shaw. Right on the nose.

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

PlayerPredictedActualDifference
    Al Petty-1-
    Raul Jimenez-2-
    Manny Galvan431
    Gus Gill-4-
    Len West55DING!
    Manolo Rodriguez862
    Ernie Holland374
    Pat Maslen682
    Jerry Oliver1394
    Hee-Sop Pak7103
    Theo Golby1111DING!
    Daron Roach1212DING!
    Darryl Conklin18135
    R. J. Lawson16142
    Jerry McKee9156
    Dani Rivera21165
    Last edited by Hollywood; 11-01-2011 at 10:06 PM.

I think I fooled you with my talk today about trading up for 'Stinger." It will depend on the players available of course, but I'm looking to go offense with my 1st pick-pretty devoid of above average prospects in one area so hoping to pick one up there. There will be plenty of pitchers left if none of them make it to me. Cornett would certainly be hard to resist if he fell to me though...

Poughkeepsie Round Table of Honor: Manuel Pearson, Cesar Gomez, Edward Ballard. Laurence Gonsalves

FOBL Owner/GM

You think I have a draft strategy, Steve? There's one faulty assumption...

FOBL Board of Governors CubsFan915's Avatar

By the way, Galvan was second only to Stinger on my draft list, so I WOULD in fact have drafted him faster than the laws of physics would have allowed.
    Richmond Confederates

Gindin League Wild Card 2008, 2018, 2028
    Prairie Division Champion 2009
    Gindin League Champion 2028
    Vaughan League Division Semi-Finalist 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055, 2056
    Skates Division Regular Season Champion 2057
    Skates Division Playoff Champion 2057
    Gindin League Division Semi-Finalist 2058

FOBL Board of Governors Morgado's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    16. Davenport (from Utah) -- Having gone with a bat with his first pick, Morgado's natural Asian sense of balance will prod him into taking a SP here. Not gonna happen. Look for hard worker and Rhodes Scholar OF Nate Ladd to come off the board here.

(Actual Pick: SS Dani Rivera)
    I figured I could get Ladd or another guy I wanted quite a bit at 19, so I made sure to get Rivera with this pick. Ended up getting Ladd at 19... yay!

Davenport Falcons - 2043 FOBL Solecismic Series Winners

(05 OCT 2011) 09:56:52 am [kurtism]: morg is the honey badger of economic analysts
    Jenny's Constant = [(7^((e/1)-(1/e)) - 9)]*(pi)^2
    I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Denver Cornett would have been a better pick for me. That's what I get for stocking my utility just to make sure I was covered, then going home and falling asleep on the couch. I never did get around to looking at the pitching prospects.
    Nemesis of sporr *to be named later

Cornett was there for POU to take, and I probably will regret not taking him, but there's a lot of pitching talent left, and not a whole lot of elite offensive talent, so had to go with Ross (though I was hoping Rivera might drop to me)

FOBL Board of Governors Draft Dodger's Avatar

I indeed took a long, hard, inappropriate look at Kel Bunch. But I'm sick and tired of having to overpay for shitty pitchers in free agency so I went with a pitchers. I was really close to taking J.J. Walker (I mean, come on) but I settled on the more developed Chet Stanley (as in, I could use him now if I was desperate)

Great feature this year Shaw

Thanks, TRO.