Thread: History in the making? People can't stop talking about the Townies

(Or Dark Cloud. Whichever works.) Young Drachma's Avatar

Default History in the making? People can't stop talking about the Townies

Doug Caldwell is a big part of the Townies revival

MARLBORO, VERMONT (AP) -- In a twist that few could have anticipated at the beginning of the year, the Marlboro Townies lead the VL's Fresca Division heading into the late August stretch. When you consider this franchise for all of his history in Annawan/Bantam/San Francisco/Vermont has been to the playoffs just once -- 14 years ago -- and has the worst history of any franchise in FOBL, it's a milestone that the team is contending.

But expecting the team to rest on its laurels? Not gonna happen. "We're really excited, but it's not the end of the year yet. We won't be satisfied until we're bathing in champagne at the end of the year," said rookie Lonnie Aldis who ironically isn't old enough to drink the bubbly.

Simon Farr is one of the only Townies who knows what it was like in the old days. He played for Bantam in 2029-30.

Not being prone to emotionalism, Townies GM D.C. Riccardi wasn't entirely sold on the idea of bringing Simon Farr back to the franchise. But he knew he needed an injection of power into his lineup and Farr seemed like the right guy to do it. "You know, he was obviously with this team at a very different point. But we met and he said that nothing he saw here really reminded him of those moribund days. This was like an entirely new ballclub to him and he said he felt a sense of excitement to be part of what we were trying to build. It sold me and he's delivered."

Credit the moves Riccardi has made this year. Because while free agency might have given the team a chance to start itself on the right path, the squad as it was composed on opening day would not be in this position right now. "You have to tip your cap to what they're doing over there," said one unnamed GM from a different team. "I mean, they've sucked forever. I guess all of those #1 draft picks finally paid off."

With Dallas Constance taking over for injured closer Kevin Juhl until he's back in two weeks and another trade acquisition Felipe Martinez providing quality innings, the team has used a bevy of its own home-grown talent to turn this team into contenders and to end up in first place this late in the season for the first time in fourteen years.

"We know anything can happen, so we're not getting too out of hand here. We just want to finish strong," said Riccardi. With two of their standouts on the DL and set to return in the next few days, look for the Townies to keep up their torrid pace. Because while a playoff spot would be nice, what they really want is a division title.

"Can you imagine what that'd be like for our fans? It's been a long, long time coming." Four cities in fourteen years and yes, it has been a long time. We'll see how it goes.

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

(Or Dark Cloud. Whichever works.) Young Drachma's Avatar

It wasn't as cocky or funny as I would've liked. But I gotta save something for the inevitable disappointment.

Beloved Former Owner Malificent's Avatar

Awesome article!

So weird to think that Annawan in its new skin will make the playoffs.
    Selling my fine art photography at Fragilescape and blogging about it at Fragilescript.