Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Proposal

Default My Proposal

I've been pondering a few things since my last big post, and I'm going to make a set of proposals that I'm willing to follow up on if there's enough backing:

THE BOTTOM LINE

I'm offering to step up and be the FOBL commissioner. By this, I mean I will work with the league to clarify a new ruleset, game environment, and other structural elements (my opening outline is listed below), I will manage the OOTP files and routine simming. If I do this, I will work to find helpers as needed (specifcally around Web support) and other league officers.

RON'S GROUND RULES

If I take this role, I will focus on a things that are important to me. I have some level of negotiation/discussion flexibility around some of them, but these items give the flavor of what a FOBL would look and feel like with me in charge.

1) FOBL--perhaps rebranded?--will be reborn as a pure OOTP universe with all elements, finances and whatnot, run in the game.
    2) FOBL will become more MLB-like, perhaps to the point of using the waiver wire and 40-man secondary rosters, which is a bit of a complication, and would cause some growing pains.
    3) I would want to play around with coaches and scouts and rating systems a bit before making a determination--giving serious consideration to a stats-only league, or maybe some form of a rating snapshot each year, with the year progressing from that point under stats-only. Dunno.
    4) The number of teams that exist in the new FOBL would obviously be dependent on how many folks will commit to play in it. More on this in a bit.
    5) My preference will be to carry the current league's history over, though some of that might be impacted by how many teams exist. If we can carry full teams over, that's great. But if we need to release everyone and do a draft, well, maybe that's fine, too. Dunno.
    6) Within the oddities of my personal schedule, I would probably default to the idea of 5-6 sims a week, but playing only 3 or 4 games a sim. In other words, there would almost always be something going on, but if you need to miss a sim or export, you won't miss much.
    7) I would look hard at putting some form of rule in place penalizing teams for missing exports too often (whatever that means).
    8) In this light, I would probably create some form of incentives to drive contribution. I've seen a few in my scans of other leagues, and I like the idea that contributing and engaged owners can leverage their contributions to add value to their franchises.
    9) Most controversial, I would expect owners to have no other OOTP or FOFL teams. I don't know exactly how this would work, but I think it's important ... perhaps we could have a waiver/probationary period for a few exceptions...dunno. But I will expect owners to be active and focused on their franchise.

SHORT TERM ISSUES

1) It's obvious the groundswell of posters is behind moving things in-game, and of the current owners, only 14 are in the FOFL. I'm certain item 9 above would mean the FOBL would lose some teams.
    2) I don't think there are too many with multiple OOTP teams, though I could be wrong.
    3) At the end of the day, some owners would be faced with a FOBL-or-not-FOBL decision. I will not take it personally if owners decide the new FOBL was not their thing.
    4) I would be fine with taking the league way down in membership if it became a much stronger league as a result. 24 teams. 12 teams, 18, even 8.

LONG TERM VISION

Pretty much everything I would do would be geared toward maintaining and expanding the league/universe in the long term. I would absolutely love it if the league grew over decades into a sprawling group of leagues who could look back onthe FOBL as today's owners, fans, and players look back on the 1900-1960s of the real life MLB.

But that is probably step 100-though-1000, and this thought process is at step -1.

NEXT STEPS FROM MY SEAT

I know not everyone will be excited by these ideas, but felt I needed to step up and volunteer. This is/was a great league, and it has great talent and history behind it. I will now personally wait on this for a bit.

If the FOBL does not want me to step in, I'm down with it. No problem-o. I know my flavor is a bit extreme for some in the crowd, and I can certainly find other things to do.

But if there is a large enough group willing to go in my direction, and it's felt by this crowd that I can provide value, and I can get a bit of help in key places, I'm willing to give it the old college try. In this case, I'll spend some time planning at a more detailed level the steps I think are needed. As I progress on those, I'll post threads for discussions, and do my bestest to respond to issues and questions.

A RonCo-commissioned league will be one of open conversation around rules and the environment, as befitting the FOBL. But I will plan to use Simms's fiat stick quite liberallly if I need to.

After a discussion period on key topics, I would work to release the new-FOBL constitution. In parallel with all that, I would begin the process of getting the league files converted and prepared for whatever structural issues we would need to deal with.

EPILOG

So, there it is. Potentially my last contribution to the league as a whole. I await the league's response.

Have at it.
    Last edited by RonCo; 11-19-2010 at 03:49 PM.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES
    VL Pennant Winners - Solecismic Series Champions: 2027, 2029
    Darn Tootin' Division Champions: 2020, 2027, 2028, 2029
    VL Wild Card: 2021, 2025, 2026, 2030, 2031 (VPI!)

Most of it looks good, except for #9.
    FOBL Santa Cruz Sea Lions
    2008 Solecismic Series Champions
    2008, 2030 Gindin League Champions
    2008, 2012, 2016 Dola Division Champions
    2041 DEFCON Division Champions
    2009, 2019, 2029, 2030 Gindin League Wild Card

FOFL Davis Toads
    2033, 2034 NC Conference Champions
    2012, 2019, 2023, 2031, 2033, 2034 NC West Champions
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2035, 2038 NC Wild Card

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

RonBall killed the FOBL

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    RonBall killed the FOBL
    Obviously, it was all part of my grand scheme to take over.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES

Owner and GM, Washington Piledrivers and Virginia Woodchucks Subby's Avatar

9 is ridiculous - other stuff is okay
    Virginia Woodchucks 2001-2035, 2039-present
    2004, 2010 Solecismic Series Champions
    Gindin League Champions (4) 2004, 2010, 2032, 2060
    Wilderness/Skates Division Champs (9) 2001, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2045, 2048, 2058, 2060

FOBL Board of Governors CubsFan915's Avatar

If we were to go stats only, would we need to even hassle with coaches/scouts?

Number 9 is going to be a tough sell for some, though for me the FOBL pretty much is my online league, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm in the FOFC-FBCB, but - so far at least - I haven't really formed an attachment to that team yet. If this moves forward, I'll be glad to help as much as I can.

As far as possible "rebranding", to me it depends a lot on how many teams we have. We're at 32 now - if a substantial number of current owners stick around, I think the continuity is a good thing. Though another "dispersal draft" would be a bitch. If only a handful of people stay on, it might be best to start over. I don't know where that number should stand, though - I'd personally think about setting that line at 24, maybe 20 at the absolute lowest.
    Richmond Confederates

Gindin League Wild Card 2008, 2018, 2028
    Prairie Division Champion 2009
    Gindin League Champion 2028
    Vaughan League Division Semi-Finalist 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055, 2056
    Skates Division Regular Season Champion 2057
    Skates Division Playoff Champion 2057
    Gindin League Division Semi-Finalist 2058

If I become commissioner, I would drop my FOFC-FBCB team. But I would be fine with owners having FBCB teams because they take so little energy to maintain.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

I'll stay out of RonBall on principle if #9 is part of it.

Whatever we do, I believe it's imperative to equalize all teams from a financial standpoint as much as possible, then let the chips fall where they may. Because I have so many prospects that I want to see play, I'm not really down with simming ahead. But finances should be reset whether we play RonBall or something else.

Looks good to me, but I can see where/why others will have issues with pt #9.

Based on what you've proposed so far you've got my vote.

As much as I appreciate the proposal and am thankful of someone's interest in picking up the ball and running with it, I feel it's pretty arrogant to insist that other participants quit their other text sim interests in order to play in this league. #9 is an absolute show-stopper for me and I won't even contemplate the other items as long as that one is a requirement.

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

Quote Originally Posted by frozenrope View Post
    As much as I appreciate the proposal and am thankful of someone's interest in picking up the ball and running with it, I feel it's pretty arrogant to insist that other participants quit their other text sim interests in order to play in this league. #9 is an absolute show-stopper for me and I won't even contemplate the other items as long as that one is a requirement.
    I'm sorry you feel that's an arrogant requirement. I certainly understand why someone who doesn't know me or my perspective could interpret it as arrogant, but my goal here is not to put any other league or activity down. My goal is to define the kinds of focus I expect of owners. I want FOBL to be #A1. Consider me to be a jealous commissioner, rather than an arrogant one. Day-by-day, real life takes a large chunk of people's time, which is only proper. But I'm looking for monogamy because I want to harness all of whatever creativity you have to give to a fake baseball league.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES

So far, to the best of my ability to count, that's 4 no, 2 yes. I know of at least two other owners who I have contacted off the board and will remain nameless until/unless they comment here who have interest. One definitely in, the other open. So technically that's 3 yesses (+me, of course, so that's four).
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES

#9 is an auto no-go for me, but I'm assuming you knew that already.

Blue, blue, the sky is blue, the grass is green and your heart is true,
    You got more colors than I ever seen, pink, red, yellow and in between.

I'm a no.
    "You know, some people say life is short and that you could get hit by a bus at any moment and that you have to live each day like it's your last. Bullshit. Life is long. You're probably not gonna get hit by a bus. And you're gonna have to live with the choices you make for the next fifty years."
    -Chris Rock

I'd be in under these circumstances. Stats-only sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure how I'd evaluate prospect talent based on HS/college stats.

(Or Dark Cloud. Whichever works.) Young Drachma's Avatar

I think a 2nd FOxL league running 11 that's brand new, while the current FOBL runs under something very similar to what exists right now with some modifications for the old guard that can't bear the idea of playing OOTP in actual OOTP would be the best course of action. It's like a third way solution and I think would invigorate the league by essentially giving it two different paths, rather than a massive heap of a league with 36 owners, you can have two parallel leagues running with say, half that number or something.

I think #9 is unfair to ask of people, though I get it. If it were about preserving FOBL over all else, then it'd make sense. But...save for that, I think it's a well thought out proposal. I just tend to think people seem to either be in the camp of maintaining the ship as it is or...coming up with some kind of low calorie FOBL diet alternative and I tend to favor trying to set this up in some way, as I think it'd bring people in who have 1) left or 2) are on the periphery and that might not show up in a status quo-esque league.
    FOBL: Helsinki Clowns (2063-)
    previously: Fresno Tacos (2062), Salt Lake City Elders (2048-58), Marlboro Townies (2038-43), Bantam Originals (2028-35)
    NCFA: Minnesota A&M Redhorse
    USA: Front Range United
    IFA: Toverit Helsinki

I agree with you, but I'm probably not in for doing an off-shoot league. Honestly, if Cuervo, Nick, and Ramz and others are up for running the league as is, then that's probably the best bet. I fully understand the angst this approach would cause (I think I would consider waiving #9 for commissioners of existing leagues, though, in thinking about it...I wouldn't want the New FOBL to be the cause of crushing an existing league due to removing the commissioner). That said, I'll be totally happy if the league remains in existence and goes a different way. I made my proposal because it made my heart sick to think the FOBL would die, and I felt I owed it to the league.

I like the community, you see. But I once loved the FOBL.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES

FOBL is my only league but the concept of #9 would make me say no.

Why demand that you can't be in another OOTP or FOF league but not have restrictions on other activities. Should I quit my weekly bowling league to ensure I have time to devote to FOBL? Should we demand owners get baby sitters to help watch their kids to let them devote time to the league?

My point is that participation in other leagues isn't any more or less likely to take away from somebody's involvement than any of a thousand other activities that we all have going on.

Owner/GM - Alabama Pink Elephants

Dola,

I would also request that the FOBL brand and history be put to rest if this plan (with item #9) is put into motion.

I think I could support the rest of the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    (I think I would consider waiving #9 for commissioners of existing leagues, though, in thinking about it...
    Double dola -

You would waive the rule for those that have EVEN MORE time commitments than those that are just participating in other leagues?

I respect you enough to assume that you can see the purpose behind this idea. At the end of they day, you've got C and crew getting ready to handle this, anyway, so I'm glad you don't need me.

That said, you're treating this like I'm coming in and making some kind of tantrum-laden demand. I have no problem with the league saying no to me. It's done so before, and I hold no ill will or whatever as a result. I would, however, think that the effort and contribution I made to the league while I was here might provide me a little more leeway and benefit of the doubt than you seem to be giving me.

Perhaps I'm just mis-reading you.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES

I think that #9 would make it extremely difficult to recruit new blood.
    Las Vegas Sucks!!!!

Beloved Former Owner Allosaurus's Avatar

Hi Ron,

I appreciate what you're offering and your heart is in the right place, but I couldn't give up on FOFL to stay on board.

The whole world is a circus if you look at it the right way. Every time you pick up a handful of dust, and see not the dust, but a mystery, a marvel, there in your hand, every time you stop and think, "I'm alive, and being alive is fantastic!" Every time such a thing happens, you are part of the Circus of Dr. Lao.

I appreciate your past contributions, your offer and the concept that you're after trying to make FOBL the focus again. I just think you are misguided in thinking that banning people from participating elsewhere will make the league a better place. If the league fixes it's problems, participation will take care of itself.

I could see #9 being alot more well received if you said you'd like members of FOBL to keep it in the family. One baseball team and one football team max. I completely understand you wanting members of the FOBL to be dedicated to one baseball league. And I'd jump into that request (mainly b/c I'm not in another baseball league). But to ask all of us who are all immersed in multiple online leagues that span multiple sports, seems like an impossible request.

I'm in 3 leagues (not counting FBCB) FOBL, FOFL and WOOF. Would I quit WOOF for a dedicated FOBL? Most likely not, but I'd consider it.
    FOBL - Queens Bees - 2023 - 2046, 2053-current
    Solecismic Series Champs: 2031
    Gindin League Prairie Division Champs: 2026 - 2031

FOFL - Coney Island Whitefish - 2014 - 2033, 2054
    National Conference Champs: 2026
    NC West Division Champs: 2014, 2015, 2017 (7-9!), 2026, 2028, 2030