Thread: Last ever FBR pages are up: 2001-2025

Red face Last ever FBR pages are up: 2001-2025

Apologies for the lateness, I'll blame my initial tardiness on the vast amount of time I spent arguing with the BOG on how to run the OOTP5-OOTP2007 conversion. Since that time I got a big promotion at work (AKA a 55 hour work week opportunity) and together with music, 'real life', and running another OOTP league there has not been a free weekend on my schedule until last weekend when I started getting this stuff ready. Unfortunately I ran into a myriad of import problems, a few of which I could not solve by just editing html and rerunning Catobase. The final result in the pages should all be good and accurate, I just did a lot of the steps outside of the app this time. Since it's likely the last time we use Catobase these kind of ad hoc fixes should not be a concern as long as the generated pages are correct.

Changes & notes:
    - The old Orono abbreviation is now listed as ORN in the FBR pages and in the DB, the new team (completely different franchise) is now ORO.
    - Good news: The HOF pages are still up to date! (because we have not added anyone in several fake seasons)
    - Missing awards/all stars: And then there were none... I manually added MVP and Fireman awards for the missing seasons (6 seasons in total). I hope I chose wisely and didn't piss off anybody, but I'd be happy to change any of them if there is protest. Since we did not schedule an all star game during 2025 there were no all stars so I also manually added these. If the player had a top 20 type year chances are he made the team. The FOBL voted top managers are all in the pages now.

If we can get Markus to add a Lahman flat file style import of historic data into existing OOTP 2007 we'll have a portion of this old FBR data in the new game. I am pretty certain it can be done, but it could be a fuck of a lot of work and since his current focus is rightly going to be on trying to fix some of the most serious bugs in OOTP 2007 the chance of this feature being added soon are practically nil. I would guess the chance of this ever being added depends on the games sales success, the developers mental health, and how much Xtreme nagging users can get away with before being banned.

What I'd like to see: If Jeff Cato came out of retirement and either released the Catobase source code or updated the app himself, then we could continue running FBR. The odds of this happening are probably much higher than seeing some FBR historical data in OOTP 2007. Of course, if there was a new Catobase Markus would have extra pressure to incorporate it into OOTP.

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

YOU FUCKING RULE

Thanks a ton for doing this, Buddy.
    "You know, some people say life is short and that you could get hit by a bus at any moment and that you have to live each day like it's your last. Bullshit. Life is long. You're probably not gonna get hit by a bus. And you're gonna have to live with the choices you make for the next fifty years."
    -Chris Rock

Owner and GM, Washington Piledrivers and Virginia Woodchucks Subby's Avatar

UNGH UNGH UNGH

Virginia Woodchucks 2001-2035, 2039-present
    2004, 2010 Solecismic Series Champions
    Gindin League Champions (4) 2004, 2010, 2032, 2060
    Wilderness/Skates Division Champs (9) 2001, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2045, 2048, 2058, 2060

Love it Buddy.....You Rock!

So what's the plan for last year and the years to come.....part of the fun of Fobl is watching Room, Zullo, McCree, Shrinri and others climb or top the All-Time Franchise ledgers
    SS Champions - 2024
    GL Dola Champions - 2020, 2021, 2022, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2038, 2056
    GL Wild Card - 2024, 2036, 2037, 2039, 2040, 2046,2047, 2054, 2055
    GL Manager of the Year - 2020, 2022, 2025, 2027

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Love it Buddy.....You Rock!

So what's the plan for last year and the years to come.....part of the fun of Fobl is watching Room, Zullo, McCree, Shrinri and others climb or top the All-Time Franchise ledgers
    I think that's being worked on. One of the big problems with the upgrade is that we can't transfer the data from the old system to the new system. Markus isn't working on it, either. So for right now, there's nothing that can be done, outside of someone manually entering all of the data into the database.

Hmmmmm.....

Question: What is the format that the data must be presented to make it transfer to the 2007 version?

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

Buddy is so damn cool.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES
    VL Pennant Winners - Solecismic Series Champions: 2027, 2029
    Darn Tootin' Division Champions: 2020, 2027, 2028, 2029
    VL Wild Card: 2021, 2025, 2026, 2030, 2031 (VPI!)

Quote Originally Posted by frozenrope View Post
    I think that's being worked on. One of the big problems with the upgrade is that we can't transfer the data from the old system to the new system. Markus isn't working on it, either. So for right now, there's nothing that can be done, outside of someone manually entering all of the data into the database.

Hmmmmm.....

Question: What is the format that the data must be presented to make it transfer to the 2007 version?
    You know, I wonder if it would be just as easy to import the cato data into a custom db on the FOBL server, and construct it in such a way that we could import end of season Markus csv's, then make most of these pages on the fly. Yeah, it sounds like a lot, but it's not terribly dissimilar to what has been done in FOFL. Sure, some functionality of FBR may not be there, but other things might work better than having the history disjointed.

Blue, blue, the sky is blue, the grass is green and your heart is true,
    You got more colors than I ever seen, pink, red, yellow and in between.

There are obviously several design approaches. Since all we care about is us, t makes it a little easier.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES
    VL Pennant Winners - Solecismic Series Champions: 2027, 2029
    Darn Tootin' Division Champions: 2020, 2027, 2028, 2029
    VL Wild Card: 2021, 2025, 2026, 2030, 2031 (VPI!)

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    There are obviously several design approaches. Since all we care about is us, t makes it a little easier.
    I'm not sure if that is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or not...a solution that could please everyone would be nice, but I'm not sure if that is reasonable or not. If we came up with a flexible enough solution though, I wouldn't be averse to sharing it (db constructs, generic php scripts).

Blue, blue, the sky is blue, the grass is green and your heart is true,
    You got more colors than I ever seen, pink, red, yellow and in between.

If it's just a spreadsheet format, can't we export the data into a spreadsheet format, adjust the format, then download it into the game? Or am I thinking of this too simplisticly? I'll be happy to help import or create data. Once we do this once, we won't have to do it again, and then this will be IN GAME, so it'll update automatically.

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

Quote Originally Posted by frozenrope View Post
    If it's just a spreadsheet format, can't we export the data into a spreadsheet format, adjust the format, then download it into the game? Or am I thinking of this too simplisticly? I'll be happy to help import or create data. Once we do this once, we won't have to do it again, and then this will be IN GAME, so it'll update automatically.
    Unfortunately the game only allows this option for newly created historical leagues, not imported leagues. What you are describing is exactly what Markus is considering though, some are just kind of doubtful he'll get this enhancement done since it is not a game bug and would only be beneficial for some OOTP users.

Hmmm, though I wonder if you could treat an old OOTP5 league as a new historical league. Instead of converting the league treat it like a brand now league - that might have been possible for us - too late now though. I wonder if any leagues tried that approach instead of converting - it would be a helluva lot of csv file editing and ratings changes would be pretty extreme (the game would generate all player ratings from scratch based on historical stats)!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Grant View Post
    ...some are just kind of doubtful he'll get this enhancement done since it is not a game bug and would only be beneficial for some OOTP users.
    I know you're skeptical, and I wouldn't dream of trying to convince you not to be, but a couple of points here:

No, it's not a game bug, and they've always been up front about saying it would take a back seat to bug fixes. The third -- and presumably final -- patch is in testing now, and he continues to insist that once the biggest outstanding issues are resolved and the patch is released, he will turn his full attention to the Cato stuff. Believe him or don't ... just saying that's what's out there.

Second ... yes, it's only beneficial to small-ish subsection of customers, but the vast majority of those owners are among the longest-term, most loyal customers he has, and after the 2k6 debacle, many were convinced to upgrade to 2k7 based largely on the possibility of this being available. There are a number of people in the public forums -- and several more in the beta forums, Ron included -- who have refused to let up on this subject, and between them, and Steve Battisti, and (one might hope) Duffy, I think there may actually be some internal pressure on Markus to get this done at some point.

Again...not saying the future's all rosey and everything's going to turn out great, but I don't think it's *totally* a doom-and-gloom scenario, either. At least not yet.
    FOBL Commissioner, 2001-2010
    Owner/General Manager, Wichita Tumbleweeds, 2001 to present
    Prairie/Skates Division Winner: 2003, 2014, 2022, 2024, 2025, 2033, 2034, 2046
    Wild Card/Skates Divisional Playoff: 2004, 2006, 2015, 2016, 2036, 2037, 2039, 2040, 2045, 2046, 2047, 2052, 2059
    Gindin League Champions: 2003, 2015
    FOBL Champions: TBD

From the last "Official" update, fwiw:

*gasp* Cato Conversion
    I spoke with Markus about Cato today, and it's definitely still on the to-do list. When he first started looking at it a while back, it ended up being far more difficult than he'd anticipated. So, he'll be looking at it extensively as soon as we can push this third patch out the door.
    FOBL Commissioner, 2001-2010
    Owner/General Manager, Wichita Tumbleweeds, 2001 to present
    Prairie/Skates Division Winner: 2003, 2014, 2022, 2024, 2025, 2033, 2034, 2046
    Wild Card/Skates Divisional Playoff: 2004, 2006, 2015, 2016, 2036, 2037, 2039, 2040, 2045, 2046, 2047, 2052, 2059
    Gindin League Champions: 2003, 2015
    FOBL Champions: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    I know you're skeptical, and I wouldn't dream of trying to convince you not to be...
    Those are wise words.

Dola - I love FBR but frankly if he ignores some of the more serious finance bugs in the game and completes a catobase file import feature I'll have mixed feelings. My fearless party pooper prediction: The most serious finance bugs are not fixed for this version of OOTP, and no Catobase import feature is added either. He will try to fit it into OOTP 2008 though.

Thanks Buddy!