Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaw's Eyebrow Manifesto for Fake 2027

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

Default Shaw's Eyebrow Manifesto for Fake 2027

OK guys, I've been away from the administration game too long. Now I'm back and I HAVE NO LIFE. You know what that means... it's time for the trains to run on mother-fucking time.

It's also time for new ideas and maybe... some old ones.

This is my VISION for FOBL 2027:

1. I want sims to mean something more than they have recently. Attendance has been spotty at best. I don't think we will ever return to days of yore, with 20 guys in a chat room on a Friday night. We are all older and have more responsibilities. Well, I'm just older. However, we can make them more interesting and accessible. To that end, I would like to try the following:

a. Do at least 1 regularly scheduled sim during the day each week. We have lots of people in the Lougne and they need entertainment. I will take a poll and determine the best day, and we will stick to it for the whole season.

b. For the evening sims: the return of VOICE SIMS. Not all the time, but at least some of the time. I would like to try once a week. It's fucking 2007. We can do this without much hassle via Skype or AIM or even hijacking some Hello Kitty Yahoo chat room. That should get CJP interested.

2. I believe that delay and dragging things out interminably kills a league. Therefore, to the extent that I am placed in charge of various things, such as Constitutional amendments, etc., we are going to have a short, intense discussion period and then vote. Speaking of amendments, I am going to propose lots of them. Tightening park effects, adding a "You Snooze, You Lose" clause for future Alhill-type situations, permanent Sunday sims, changing the HoF voting procedure, making all awards voting done by the CPU, etc. Some may pass, some may not. If you have an idea, let me know and I will develop it with you.

3. Speaking of voting, no more slack on non-amendment voting. As stated above, we are going to decide the CPU/human All-Star and Season Awards voting issue once and for all. If we keep them outside the game, then all-star and EoY awards will happen on time, and any catch-up that needs to be done will be done before the 2027 All-Star break.

4. Catch up on the HoF voting and GIT R DUN every year. Either we do it right or we don't do it. Maybe we just will eliminate the HoF. Maybe we need to tweak the voting procedure or blow it up entirely.

5. Put our procedures for everything down for future leadership.

6. Seek out more vultures. This is a pie-in-the-sky type of thing, but we need to cultivate a few more interested parties. This will involve some outreach at the OOTP and FOFC boards, some direct contacts, and any other avenue we can find.

I'm sure I will think of some more things for my vision, but that's it for now.

I haven't been in a position of "authority" in FOBL for some time. I wanted it that way, because I burned out. Now, I want to help because I feel energized. We have turned a corner with v7. I think it is a much better sim and dev engine. Nobody has a patented strategy anymore, there isn't only one way to win, we don't know it all anymore. This, like Subby after a few GHB-laced drinks on Friday night, is a wide-open field ripe for plowing.

My other reason for coming back is because, despite this new frontier opening, I feel the interest draining out of FOBL. This transition could be the best thing that ever happened to FOBL or it can kill it. I want our league not only to survive, but to prosper. I don't see that happening right now. I don't want us to have to contract, which is what I see on the horizon.

Make no mistake, Simms is in charge. My role is that of an administrative guy. I get things done, and because I have no life, I can maybe get a bit more done than others with family, etc. To the extent Simms allows me to run with things, I am going to run. He's told Cubs and me to go for it right now. Until he reins us in, Cubs and I are going to do just that.

Some of you who have not experienced my "leadership" style before may feel like I'm running you the fuck over. Let me go ahead and apologize in advance for that. If I piss you off, let me know and I will fix things. I just don't have any tact or desire to say anything other than what I feel. I'm getting crankier in my old age. Those of you who know me understand that I have the best interests of the league at heart and am not as much of a hardass as I pretend to be. But I sincerely believe that a more aggressive approach is needed right now. If I'm wrong, tell me.

I love this league, I love this community, I love you guys. This group of people kept me going through some very rough times. It's weird that a fake baseball league did that for me, but it did. Because this league is so important to me, I have a vested interest in it continuing to thrive... not just exist. I am going to do whatever it takes to try and make that happen.

Owner and GM, Washington Piledrivers and Virginia Woodchucks Subby's Avatar

This is exactly what FOBL needs right now.
    Virginia Woodchucks 2001-2035, 2039-present
    2004, 2010 Solecismic Series Champions
    Gindin League Champions (4) 2004, 2010, 2032, 2060
    Wilderness/Skates Division Champs (9) 2001, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2045, 2048, 2058, 2060

I'm skeered

but my panties are wet so I must like it.

Owner/GM - Alabama Pink Elephants

Excellent post, Shaw. I agree with Sub, this is exactly what this league needs.

I would also like to find some way to incorporate the Cato-based stats into the v7 historical database. The history of this league is what continues to be a big reason why this league is the best. The history and the owners. I like the historical references in-game. Surely there must be some way to bring the data from the old system into the new.

Steve, looking forward to your presidency.

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

yes, herr fuhrer
    Owner/GM, Utica Wombats
    Solecismic Series Champs - 2015
    Vaughan League Champs - 2015, 2024, 2035, 2045, 2046
    Ice Cream Sandwich Division Champs - 2036, 2046, 2048

Nor'Easter Division Champs - 2004-2007, 2010, 2013-2016, 2023, 2025, 2027, 2034
    Vaughan League Wild Card - 2024, 2033, 2035, 2037, 2044, 2045

Owner/GM, Happy Valley Hippies
    AC East Division Champs - 2019, 2027, 2039
    AC Wild Card - 2020, 2031

Note: one request...and this is NOT to toot my own horn, I swear.

Can we put the 100 Greatest Ballplayers threads into some part of the front page or secondary page? I believe that the newer owners need to know about our heritage; about the players from our past. I will do an updated list, I promise. But how many owners know about Paul Pina? About Potato Pants? Golden Apple? Robi? I believe the synopsis on these players are well spoken for in these threads.

Thank you.

'Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down a manhole and die." - Mel Brooks

"Prophet Harold Camping who predicted the end of the world has died. That's kinda sad but its not the end of the world" -
    Eric Idle

It's on my list, Rope.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenrope View Post
    I would also like to find some way to incorporate the Cato-based stats into the v7 historical database. The history of this league is what continues to be a big reason why this league is the best. The history and the owners. I like the historical references in-game. Surely there must be some way to bring the data from the old system into the new.
    Short of Markus programming one, there isn't, so expend your time and energy thinking/worrying about other things.

He has maintained on numerous occasions that he is still planning/working on one, and has not backed away from that stance, plus there are several influential people at OOTP (beta and non-beta alike) who refuse to let it die. I'm not saying I'm hugely optimistic about the prospect, but until I hear him say "it can't be done", I'm not giving up hope. Half the work for a conversion utility is done; we're just waiting on Markus to provide the rest.

But be assured, this is not something that we can overcome by employing some sort of creative backdoor workaround. That sucks, but it is what it is.

And for what it's worth, I also wholeheartedly welcome and endorse the ass-kickings Steve is dishing out.
    FOBL Commissioner, 2001-2010
    Owner/General Manager, Wichita Tumbleweeds, 2001 to present
    Prairie/Skates Division Winner: 2003, 2014, 2022, 2024, 2025, 2033, 2034, 2046
    Wild Card/Skates Divisional Playoff: 2004, 2006, 2015, 2016, 2036, 2037, 2039, 2040, 2045, 2046, 2047, 2052, 2059
    Gindin League Champions: 2003, 2015
    FOBL Champions: TBD

The latest version of AIM does voice chats just like old-timey Yahoo.

Voice chats are back, bitches.

FOBL Board of Governors CubsFan915's Avatar

Does this mean I have to break down and buy a mike for my 'puter? I'm blaming you when Jenny complains, Steve.
    Richmond Confederates

Gindin League Wild Card 2008, 2018, 2028
    Prairie Division Champion 2009
    Gindin League Champion 2028
    Vaughan League Division Semi-Finalist 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055, 2056
    Skates Division Regular Season Champion 2057
    Skates Division Playoff Champion 2057
    Gindin League Division Semi-Finalist 2058

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    The latest version of AIM does voice chats just like old-timey Yahoo.

Voice chats are back, bitches.
    I've found Skype to work better. I use it for Gridiron Glory radio shows and the preseason round table discussions.

Just .02 from from the outside.

----------------------
    Subby's DADDY 6 times per season.

Quote Originally Posted by TRO View Post
    I'm skeered

but my panties are wet so I must like it.
    That just means its time to change your Depends©..............................SUBBY! Its your turn to change TRO!

----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
    I've found Skype to work better. I use it for Gridiron Glory radio shows and the preseason round table discussions.

Just .02 from from the outside.
    Good to know. We used it before for a voice sim, so we may give it another try.

You could also record it for playback later for those who can't attend.

----------------------

Podcasting FOBL sims is just gay enough to be right up our alley.
    Nemesis of sporr *to be named later

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    QOTM. Bitches.
    Owner/GM, Utica Wombats
    Solecismic Series Champs - 2015
    Vaughan League Champs - 2015, 2024, 2035, 2045, 2046
    Ice Cream Sandwich Division Champs - 2036, 2046, 2048

Nor'Easter Division Champs - 2004-2007, 2010, 2013-2016, 2023, 2025, 2027, 2034
    Vaughan League Wild Card - 2024, 2033, 2035, 2037, 2044, 2045

Owner/GM, Happy Valley Hippies
    AC East Division Champs - 2019, 2027, 2039
    AC Wild Card - 2020, 2031

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I just peed..... a little.

If we do not find anything very pleasant, at least we shall find something new. -Voltaire

TSW took it a bit farther than 'podcasting'. We have an rss feed to use if you want it as a podcast, but we've made it portable now.

On the Total Sports World site, there's a link to a flash player so you can listen to all our radio shows and still surf the 'net.

www.totalsportsworld.net .............go to the upper right and click the launch graphic for our radio network.

Done, correctly, this league is a stone cold lock for something like this, especially with all the banter that goes on here anyway.

----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by CubsFan915 View Post
    Does this mean I have to break down and buy a mike for my 'puter? I'm blaming you when Jenny complains, Steve.
    FWIW, Steve, I managed to avoid having to blame you. I had been talking about getting a headset so that I'd be able to play games at night and not worry about having it waking up Addie, since the computer is in the next room from hers. I just told her that the cheapest headset that I was happy with also had a microphone - not entirely an untruth, as I wanted a USB headset and I just didn't happen to look at USB headsets without mikes.

So, you're off the hook.
    Richmond Confederates

Vaughan League Division Semi-Finalist 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055, 2056

Thanks?

Podcasting a radio stuff are great.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES
    VL Pennant Winners - Solecismic Series Champions: 2027, 2029
    Darn Tootin' Division Champions: 2020, 2027, 2028, 2029
    VL Wild Card: 2021, 2025, 2026, 2030, 2031 (VPI!)

Yeah, sorry about all that, guys. Shit got real bad for me in 2008... and 2009... and 2010, and until a few months ago, I thought I was following Subby out the door.

But I did quite a bit of soul-searching recently, and I love this league, and this community, and all of you (yes, I love you guys) too much to let FOBL fade away without at least doing the best I can to keep it going. If it dies, it dies, but I don't want to have any regrets about my part in it.

I'm back now to help Cuervo and the BoG any way I can, and plan to contribute quite a bit, but I'm not going to make any promises or try to heighten expectations.

I think I might have to try the podcasting idea, though, if anybody thinks they would listen to a 5-to-10-minute one once a week. I think it would be easier for me to do a "This Week in FOBL"-type podcast than a post-sim one, though.

I listen to a ton of podcasts while I'm in the gym. I would subscribe to any FOBL podcast out there.
    LOS ALAMOS NUKES
    VL Pennant Winners - Solecismic Series Champions: 2027, 2029
    Darn Tootin' Division Champions: 2020, 2027, 2028, 2029
    VL Wild Card: 2021, 2025, 2026, 2030, 2031 (VPI!)

Any chance to hear the sexiness that is Shaw's voice is a good chance for me.
    Richmond Confederates

OK, then it's done. I will install GarageBand and start researching this week.