Thread: League discussion: revisiting the quickie exhibition season

Beloved Former Owner Allosaurus's Avatar

Default League discussion: revisiting the quickie exhibition season

One added feature of FOF2K7 involves preseason "rust", which means veteran players must get some exhibition reps in order to shake off their offseason malaise and perform at peak levels. In light of this we may want to revisit our decision to fast-sim through the exhibition season in two quick chunks to allow for more precise roster tuning so players can strike a finer balance between getting playing time for their veterans and their rookies. Also, if we do revert to going through the games individually, should we reinstate injury levels?

Not having yet played the game or participated in a league that has reached the exhibition season with the new version, I don't really have an informed opinion to offer here. If you feel strongly one way or another on this issue, please post your thoughts. Once exhibition season draws near, we'll take a poll or whatever and go with the league consensus.

The whole world is a circus if you look at it the right way. Every time you pick up a handful of dust, and see not the dust, but a mystery, a marvel, there in your hand, every time you stop and think, "I'm alive, and being alive is fantastic!" Every time such a thing happens, you are part of the Circus of Dr. Lao.

I have no opinion on what to do, but I definitely want to chime in and say that the rust concept is stupid and one of those things that sacrifices fun for 'realism'.

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

Just turn off the rust option.

VISION

I'm not looking to debate, really, but to me the overall rust concept makes plenty of sense. Maybe it shouldn't be as big a deal for players who went through training camp with your team, but in general I rather like the idea that a hobo right off the street might have some difficulty being your starting QB the next week.

As for preseason, even with the rust stuff, I found the IHOF every-stage preseason to be needlessly tedious, so I'm still in favor of most any way to shorten it.

I'd like to see the rust feature in action for a season or two before deciding to turn it off if its possible to do that. Do we know approximately how much playing time veteran players must get to "shake off the rust?" It still may be possible to keep the same exhibition sim schedule if we can start our vets for say the last two games of the exhibition season.

As for injuries, I would prefer to keep them off during the preseason games, but would it be possible to set them at the lowest level possible during exhibitions, then the normal levels once the season begins? That way we still get the realism of injuries during exhibition games but the actual injuries may be few and far between.
    Current Owner: Poughkeepsie Paladins/FOBL
    Past Owner: Myrtle Beach Magicians/FOFL

If anyone would be laying the smiting hand of God over anyone, it's us.

Poughkeepsie Round Table of Honor: Manuel Pearson, Cesar Gomez, Edward Ballard. Laurence Gonsalves

FOFL Champions Myrtle Beach Magicians-2025. Yes the Apocalypse is coming.

I'm not looking to debate either and my rust comments were specifically meant for the topic of preseason.... sorry that wasn't clarified.

To clarify, rust cannot be turned off.

How are the two preseason chunks done now?

Right now, what we have been doing is turning off injuries for the exhibition season, quick-sim the first three games, break for an export, then quick-sim the remaining two games.

The whole world is a circus if you look at it the right way. Every time you pick up a handful of dust, and see not the dust, but a mystery, a marvel, there in your hand, every time you stop and think, "I'm alive, and being alive is fantastic!" Every time such a thing happens, you are part of the Circus of Dr. Lao.

Quote Originally Posted by Allosaurus View Post
    Right now, what we have been doing is turning off injuries for the exhibition season, quick-sim the first three games, break for an export, then quick-sim the remaining two games.
    That could make for some interesting situations with rust, but I think it would be manageable that way.

I prefer the expedited pre-season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trenton Roadkill - 2040 FOBL Champions

Owner and GM, Washington Piledrivers and Virginia Woodchucks Subby's Avatar

I prefer expedited exhibition season as well...I think you are looking at 4 days versus 8 days which makes a difference after a long off season. Everyone is ready to get back to it.
    Virginia Woodchucks 2001-2035, 2039-present
    2004, 2010 Solecismic Series Champions
    Gindin League Champions (4) 2004, 2010, 2032, 2060
    Wilderness/Skates Division Champs (9) 2001, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2045, 2048, 2058, 2060

FOBL Board of Governors Morgado's Avatar

I vote for whatever is the shortest possible preseason with the fewest possible features enabled. If it were possible to disable preseason, I would vote for that.

Yes, I know about players getting development in exhibition games.

Davenport Falcons - 2043 FOBL Solecismic Series Winners

(05 OCT 2011) 09:56:52 am [kurtism]: morg is the honey badger of economic analysts
    Jenny's Constant = [(7^((e/1)-(1/e)) - 9)]*(pi)^2
    I ♣ baby seals.
    *shurg* \_(ツ)_/

I was under the impression that player rust was something that was in 2004, but not exposed in a way we could see directly.

FOBL Board of Governors Hollywood's Avatar

I don't give 2 shits about rust or expedited schedules. All I care about is that we do not reinstate injuries during preseason. I cannot tell you how strongly I feel about this.

I like the fast, injury-free preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I was under the impression that player rust was something that was in 2004, but not exposed in a way we could see directly.
    No. It is absolutely a new feature for FOF2007.

For those trying to decide what is best, and who are possible new to FOF 2007 -- Ill offer one insight.

One of the minor "losses" in FOF 2004 by going to the expedited injury-free preseason was the loss of the ability to "stash" slightly injured players on your IR list for the year, rather than cut them. In FOF 2007, this is largely eliminated, as you may only IR players who are listed as "out." So, without the admittedly perverse incentive to hope that your fairly promising 3rd center comes down with a cold in the preseason (so he can make the team)... there's one less reason to play out the detail of the preseason, in my judgment.

I also love the shortened injury free pre-season.

From what has been said, I don't think there is a need to revisit this.